Internet has become slow, ping around 400

Vsml

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
Hi,

I live in a shared house, before hand there was only ever really two people connecting to the internet, now theres about 3-4. The internet was still perfect, but ever since this one guy moved in it's literally gone to the point that the ping is always 300-400 which online games suffer latency from it.

I've confronted him and he's even said he's getting bad connecting and told me he looked into the settings and that 20 devices were connected to our internet? Not sure how that is possible. I'm currently the only one in the house atm, and the ping is 200-400? Which it used to be 29-40 on my own. I don't know if something fishy is going on or what... any advice?

Solution
Most wireless routers should have a page that lists connected devices. For example:
NPDeHnS.png

How many are listed?

Make sure you have security enabled; ideally WPA2.

HyNrgy

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
if you would provide you internet configuration that would help (like seperate modem/router of if a combo unit), model numbers of modem/router? Security type wep, wpa, wpa2? have you tried running a speedtest from modem directly? Also, check www.pingtest.com (sister site to www.speedtest.net) and see what packet loss, ping, jitter is from router and from modem