Question Internet has been going down for 2 weeks now ?

Jul 14, 2023
Hey there!

Awhile ago I went to pay my bill to my ISP and got a rented TP-LINK WIFI6 router.
My apartment still has internet through a coaxial/DOCSIS cable however. :D
I pay for 200Mbps down and 50Mbps up.
I had a router that accepts coaxial but the new TP-Link doesn't so they're connected with an Ethernet cable.
I needed the new router because on WiFi with the old one I was getting like maybe 50Mbps down while with the new one I get full speed.

Recently however my connection has started compleately dropping and I get no internet on neither the original coaxial router nor the new TP-Link one.

Today, specifically while playing games and talking on Discord, I got insanely high packet loss so I decided to try running pingplotter on 8.8.8.8 and got these results after awhile: https://prnt.sc/TDHR9T_XiZso
First 2 hops are my 2 routers and I see a packet loss from the ISP I assume? Is it a problem on my side or not ?

These are the channels/powers from the coaxial router during the time I had no connection: https://prnt.sc/sK6HM86yeBGk

These are the logs from the same router from when my connection dropped:
https://prnt.sc/FMwdSRR4OvVX

So my question is.. how can I figure out if this is a problem on my end or the ISP without necessarily calling a technician since Im not able to.
If it helps, earlier in the week even if Im supposed to get 50Mbps upload, for some reason I was limited to 25.

Thanks in advance!

You are misreading the pingplotter. For it to be a valid issue the problem must also affect the final destination site. Random strangeness in the path is testing issues or the routers are configured to limit their response. If you really had 100% packet loss in hop 5 you would never see hops past it.

This does not mean you do not have a issue it just means you did not manage to capture the outage with pingplotter.

You signal levels look mostly ok. The upstream power is at the max recommended top limit I think. It varies a bit. This value being high means the ISP equipment is having issues hearing your modem and requested to transmit at higher power.

The log in the router is strange. Generally when you see dhcp messages like this it means the connection has restarted. The other messages look to me as if it is having issue communicating with the ISP equipment and restarting. It has been many years and on much older tech when I knew what this really mean. The ISP can see all these log messages in your modem remotely and their equipment is also likely getting log messages.

Not much you can do except call the ISP and see what they think about these logs. You can do the basic look at your coax cable and be sure they all look tight and undamged. Unless you have a dog that chewed the cables inside the house seldom go bad but ones outside it only takes a tiny bit of water in one of the connectors to cause massive issues.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will ask about:

"First 2 hops are my 2 routers"

"I had a router that accepts coaxial and well the new TP-Link doesn't so they're connected with an Ethernet cable. I needed the new router because on WiFi with the old one I was getting like maybe 50Mbps down while with the new I get full speed."

Two routers - correct?

How are the routers connected? For example ( line diagram):

ISP ---coax ---> Modem ---- > Router 1 ----Ethernet cable -----> Router 2 ------> network devices.....

Edit my line diagram to include device makes and models plus ports and cables being used.

Include any splitters or other devices in the path.

Jul 14, 2023
And I will ask about:

"First 2 hops are my 2 routers"

"I had a router that accepts coaxial and well the new TP-Link doesn't so they're connected with an Ethernet cable. I needed the new router because on WiFi with the old one I was getting like maybe 50Mbps down while with the new I get full speed."

Two routers - correct?

How are the routers connected? For example ( line diagram):

ISP ---coax ---> Modem ---- > Router 1 ----Ethernet cable -----> Router 2 ------> network devices.....

Edit my line diagram to include device makes and models plus ports and cables being used.

Include any splitters or other devices in the path.
Basically the whole thing is just this:
ISP -- Coax ---> Splitter for TV and Internet ----> Coax cable into first Router/Modem. Model: Technicolor 7200 provided by ISP ---> TP-LINK ax1800 with an ethernet cable ---> all my devices 2 PCs, a Phone and my TV with Wi-Fi

Ralston18

Titan
Which router is handling DHCP?

I would expect that the first router (Technicolor) has DHCP disabled and that the TP-Link router is handling DHCP.

Also verify the ethernet ports being used for the Ethernet cable between the two routers. Should be [WAN] to [LAN].

E.g.:

Coax ====> Router/Modem. Model: Technicolor 7200 [WAN] ----->[LAN] TP-LINK ax1800

Run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt on your PC.

Post the results via copy and paste. No need to retype everything.

Jul 14, 2023
Which router is handling DHCP?

I would expect that the first router (Technicolor) has DHCP disabled and that the TP-Link router is handling DHCP.

Also verify the ethernet ports being used for the Ethernet cable between the two routers. Should be [WAN] to [LAN].

E.g.:

Coax ====> Router/Modem. Model: Technicolor 7200 [WAN] ----->[LAN] TP-LINK ax1800

Run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt on your PC.

Post the results via copy and paste. No need to retype everything.
DHCP is indeed handled by the TP-Link. It is just confusing me since it doesn't only happen on my PC but every device on the network no matter which router they are connected to.
I have connected it like this:
LAN from Technicolor to WAN on the TP-Link.

Here are the CMD results, I do also use Virtual Box so that's in there:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-TKC6DEV
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-C0-4D-68-2D-4F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7bce:55bb:a130:6b2f%4(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.3(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 7, 2023 3:25:31 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 7, 2023 5:25:31 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 102285389
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2C-8B-EF-73-18-C0-4D-68-2D-4F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.7.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0A-00-27-00-00-0C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::41a6:d936:2327:ec3d%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.56.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 403308583
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2C-8B-EF-73-18-C0-4D-68-2D-4F
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Unknown adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-DF-0F-4A-C9
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ralston18

Titan
Thoughts:

1) "LAN from Technicolor to WAN on the TP-Link."

If I understand correctly it should be WAN from Technicolor to LAN on the TP-Link.

Do you have admin access to the Technicolor 7200?

Is the following manual link a match to your router?

https://setuprouter.com/router/technicolor/tc7200/1245.pdf

Came across the following link from within this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/adding-wan-to-lan-and-increasing-ports.2745155/

Objective being to verify that the physical Ethernet connections are supported and properly configured.

2) Just to verify: The TP-Link IP address is 192.168.7.1 - correct? The desktop is currently using DHCP IP address 192.168.7.3

You can use the MACs (Physical address) to match devices to IP address.

At the command prompt run "arp -a" and use the devices starting with 192. as a checklist to discover/identify devices.

3) Should not make a difference per se but the current lease time is only 2 hours. Change the lease time to max.

4) It appears that there is another enabled Ethernet adapter - 192.168.56.1. Ensure that only one network adapter is enabled on your PC.

5) Disable IPv6