[SOLVED] Internet intermittently drops out (signal between modem and router) - modem says there is internet signal - replaced some hardware

Mar 4, 2022
My internet (fiber to the curb) has been dropping out intermittently, from once to multiple times a day. The ISP has checked the lines from the house to the curb and even switched to a second line, they also sent us a new modem/router, yet the issue persists. I've replaced the lan cable from the modem to the router also. The ONLY hardware fault I can think of is that the modem is faulty, but whenever the drop outs occur it says it still has internet signal, and the only signal fault (as indicated by the light on the modem) is the connection with the router. The router has three devices plugged into it and a multiple use wifi. Does this seem like a hardware fault? If this is not a hardware/line fault then could there be some router configuration problem or something do with the usage of my pc? Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Reactions: Rushnet
Solution
PPP can be though of as a form of vpn where it is running a IP tunnel over another data format. It is commonly seen in DSL and it might be using DSL between the fiber connection and your house.

You can get these messages if the line to the modem physically down but it can happen also happen if you are getting too many errors on the line and it drops at a logical level rather than physically.

It could be the router but it is not common and you say you replaced the router. This is a hard one because the ISP would have to be looking at the connection when it drops and when it is random it tends to never happen when the ISP is watching.
I would call the ISP again and give them the logs from the router this time. Maybe their...
The connection to the router is much simpler than the one to internet. Pretty much the only error a modem can detect is a failure on the port. Everything related to data is mostly transparent to the modem so it would not be able to see something like a dns or ip traffic could not pass.

I would check the router and see if there are any errors logged. It is almost acting like the router is rebooting or something.

Depending how often this happens you could plug a pc directly into the modem and see if the modem shows the same failure. A pc has much better logging than a router so you should be able to tell why the port goes down if it does

Reactions: Rushnet and Amersen
Mar 4, 2022
The connection to the router is much simpler than the one to internet. Pretty much the only error a modem can detect is a failure on the port. Everything related to data is mostly transparent to the modem so it would not be able to see something like a dns or ip traffic could not pass.

I would check the router and see if there are any errors logged. It is almost acting like the router is rebooting or something.

Depending how often this happens you could plug a pc directly into the modem and see if the modem shows the same failure. A pc has much better logging than a router so you should be able to tell why the port goes down if it does

Hey. I checked the router logs and it say there is a ppp2 lcp down error, then afterwards it says ppp3 error. I've read that ppp2 means there's a line error, but the modem says it has internet signal when the error occurs. I guess the modem port could be faulty but not sure. Thanks for your help.

PPP can be though of as a form of vpn where it is running a IP tunnel over another data format. It is commonly seen in DSL and it might be using DSL between the fiber connection and your house.

You can get these messages if the line to the modem physically down but it can happen also happen if you are getting too many errors on the line and it drops at a logical level rather than physically.

It could be the router but it is not common and you say you replaced the router. This is a hard one because the ISP would have to be looking at the connection when it drops and when it is random it tends to never happen when the ISP is watching.
I would call the ISP again and give them the logs from the router this time. Maybe their equipment also has logs at the same time. This type of error tends to be wiring related most times. How long is the run inside your house from where the phone line enters to the modem. Can you replace that part.

Reactions: Rushnet and Amersen
Solution
Mar 4, 2022

I would call the ISP again and give them the logs from the router this time. Maybe their equipment also has logs at the same time. This type of error tends to be wiring related most times. How long is the run inside your house from where the phone line enters to the modem. Can you replace that part.

Thanks. Yes it's using dsl between the house/fiber. I can replace the line from the wall socket to the modem and see if that helps. I spoke with the ISP, they couldn't see outages on their end but they said they will monitor it and call me back in a couple of days. The phone line from the house to the curb would be quite old so I wouldn't be surprised if it's having errors, as you said.

When we had cable we didn't have problems but obviously even though it's a brand new fiber network it still relies on the house's old wiring.