[SOLVED] Internet is capped at 100mbps

Jakab28

Commendable
Jul 23, 2021
Hey, so I want to start off by giving the layout of my internet connection.

(Spectrum Cable Modem) -> (TP-Link AX1500 Router) -> (Archer C20) -> (PC).

So, if this is confusing lemme explain. I have that modem ran into the "family" router and then I made my own cat5e+ which I ran about 80ish feet into my room from that (AX 1500) into the router I have stationed in my room (Archer C20). Now I am paying for 450mbps from spectrum and get roughly that speed when I am downstairs next to the wifi through a speed test on my phone. The issue is the router in my room and the fact that it is stuck at about 100mbps (I average 70ish mbps) I have this router in my room (A C20) setup as a router not an access point. I know that all the cables are fine and was just wondering if there was a software issue or if I need to call my ISP or return my (Archer C20)?

Solution
Archer C20 only has a 100mbs switch. You need to upgrade to a better access point with a gigabit switch built in, or buy a cheap gigabit switch for your room.

kanewolf

Titan

So, if this is confusing lemme explain. I have that modem ran into the "family" router and then I made my own cat5e+ which I ran about 80ish feet into my room from that (AX 1500) into the router I have stationed in my room (Archer C20). Now I am paying for 450mbps from spectrum and get roughly that speed when I am downstairs next to the wifi through a speed test on my phone. The issue is the router in my room and the fact that it is stuck at about 100mbps (I average 70ish mbps) I have this router in my room (A C20) setup as a router not an access point. I know that all the cables are fine and was just wondering if there was a software issue or if I need to call my ISP or return my (Archer C20)?
Since you made the 80 ft cable, that is the most likely problem. Move everything into the family room temporarily. Use new factory made short cables to test everything.

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020

Think this is a simple one the Archer C20 only has 10/100Mb LAN and WAN ports so it will never talk at more than 100Mb you need a device with Gigabit LAN ports built in.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c20/#specifications

Reactions: gggplaya