Internet is connected nothing loads except Google websites

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewpws

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
My internet is connected and works. No web pages work except Google YouTube facebook. Steam doesn't work either I can only chat my friends on steam. I reset my router I've tried netsh ipv4 commands tried dnsflush commands, my ipv4 and 6 settings are on automatic. Please help I can't fix my internet!

Solution
you want to look for malware with something like malwarebytes but if you can not get the internet it is going to be tough.

Try to ping some of the other sites from a command prompt. Some sites do not respond but the main thing is that is looks the site up. You can also try the nslookup command see what you get for
nslookup tomshardware.com
then try
nslookup tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8

The second is using google dns.

If these have trouble I would be looking for firewall rules blocking you or maybe some bad stuff in the host file. You can just delete the host file exactly where it is kept varies a bit on windows release but it is just a file called hosts generally in the main system path in a directory that has a name etc.

If the...

gbuddha

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Thank you. I had this problem ever since I did Windows 8.1 update. Always thought that it was a hardware problem and started using wifi dongle to the desktop.
This morning, I went through your post and figured out I had the same problem.

Thanks Bro.

Sleerf

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015

Yeah. I just figured mine out after reading everything on this list and none of them being the solution. It seems to be that all sorts of thing can cause it, BUT the key seems to always be that something with IPV4 routing is messed up while IPV6 is fine. So websites that are already converted to IPV6 become the only ones that work.

In my case, my Netgear router, which I will never buy again after having two in a row that started having intermittent weird issues after about 9 months, had somehow assigned my laptop some random IP on another subnet and a 255.255.0.0 mask. Internally I should be on a 255.255.255.0.. I had glanced at it and not noticed until I saw someone on here mention that by looking at the adapter properties, you could see IPV6 connected to the internet but IPV4 not connected. Sure enough it was. Usually if the adapter's settings are on DHCP, there's no reason to check the internal IP if the rest of the wireless goodies in the house are working. I looked in my router and I saw several lines in the UpNP settings that were my laptop and the IP address was the same as what the laptop was. I turned off UpNP cleared the tables and almost immediately I had a proper IP address and all was working again.

So here's a guess and someone can tell me if they think I'm way off base here........ Prior to this happening my laptop had run a Windows update. I had to leave and immediately went to work. At work I have an alternate static IP setup so I can be on their network. So I had no reason to suspect a problem. But I think something in the update made the laptop a UpNP device and then that was recorded and setup in the router. Once setup, even when I uninstalled the adapter, installed new fresh drivers from Intel, the router was just pushing it back out to the laptop.

This would be another one of this impossible to prove weird settings changes on updates things that Win10 seems to do intermittently to just enough people to be deniable. I've had enough such issues that the only reason I didn't suspect it this time was because I left after the update and didn't come back to my normal IP connection for several hours. I even did a system restore to roll back before the update and it didn't fix it.

This is all a guess. I don't know a lot about UPNP but from what I've just read it seems that a UPNP device will assign itself an IP address if it doesn't get one from the connection point (router?). Then it advertises it and is picked up by the router. Then in subsequent connections it's supposed to use that same IP address so I can see the router working in that way if it's the case.

So anyways, WEIRD stuff, but fixed. This one baffled me so I wanted to post it here with the rest of the solutions so the next person has yet another possibly solution to the problem.

By the way, I was trying all sorts of sites to see if there was anything common I could nail down. Suddenly I'm amazed at the number of people who haven't converted to IPv6.

Shubham_18

Commendable
May 12, 2016
Hey I have found an active solution:-

1. Open Network and Sharing Center
2.In Ipv4 > DNS address ...type 8.8.8.8 and in alternate type 8.8.4.4
3.In Ipv6 > DNS address ...type 2001:4860:4860::8888 and in alternate type 2001:4860:4860::8844

Hope This Works

Rahul_112

Commendable
May 15, 2016
If all the above suggestions don't work, you can try the below as it worked for me. The below will fix the issue only if you have a problem with you proxy server.
In chrome,
1. Go to Settings > Advanced settings > change proxy settings ...
2. Click on LAN settings.

Make sure you deselect the check box which says "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

This at least worked for me.
Also one more suggestion, try troubleshooting your issue with the windows troublshooter. It may not help you to solve the issue but at least give you the exact cause of the problem.

Thanks.:)

BaltRavensxD

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I made an account just to respond to this after 4 hours of staying up in the middle of the night stressed over troubleshooting. While I was doing all this I was to the point I was about to revert back to Windows 7 from Windows 10, I instead tried one more thing suggested by windows and I checked for updates and I was missing one. I installed it and everything was up and fine. If it is missing an update it may start working perfectly fine (at least for me).
WINDOWS 10 FIX POSSIBILITY.
Go to PC Settings > Update & Security > Check For Updates.

MRAeRozz

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014
It just happend to all devices in the whole house tried everything mentioned here and it still didnt work, i reset router and now have to configure it again but im at work.

cyrus35

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

works great thanks

Fred the casual

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
This might not work for everybody because looks like the problem can be caused by many things. I wanna share mine because I tried everything listed above. i tried checking IPv4 in the router settings, making my IP dynamic and automatic, flusing DNS, or using google DNS, even trying to turn off firewall. What I do is actually unchecking proxy server "use a proxy server for your LAN" located on "LAN settings" inside "internet properties" under the tab "connections". I hope my answer can help some people still struggling with it.

nileshsingh2906

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016
Guys, i wasted two hours in the middle of the night... I tried almost everything mentioned over here.... But my problem was not solved.

At last i found solution & would like to share with everyone... I believe it might help u guys in future...

Control Panel ---> Network & Internet ---> Network & Sharing Center -- > Change Adapter Setting --->
Double Click on your active Wireless Network Connection
Then Wireless Network Connection Status will pop up---> Click on Properties
Within the list, There is "Network Filter Driver" -- Remove (Uncheck) the check box

Then Double Click on Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) ----> Select Obtain an IP Address & DNS Server address automatically.

Cheers :)

pandy527

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

So had been searching for a solution to this for a whole day and found something that finally worked. Hopefully this helps someone else out. What I did was go to my LAN network adapter properties, uncheck both ipv4 and ipv6, then disable the network adapter. Then I re enabled the adapter, and checked ONLY ONE of either ipv4 or ipv6. For me, checking only ipv4 made my internet work again, although you may have to repeat and try the other protocol.

by the way, all settings were on automatic

pandy527

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016

So had been searching for a solution to this for a whole day and found something that finally worked. Hopefully this helps someone else out. What I did was go to my LAN network adapter properties, uncheck both ipv4 and ipv6, then disable the network adapter. Then I re enabled the adapter, and checked ONLY ONE of either ipv4 or ipv6. For me, checking only ipv4 made my internet work again, although you may have to repeat and try the other protocol.

by the way, all settings were on automatic

Pollyp98

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Eraestus

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

So i had a similar problem and was just able to fix it. Open "Windows Settings", then click "Network & Internet". Next click on "Change adapter options" and a new window should open that shows how you are connected to the internet. (For example mine says "Ethernet"). Double click the icon and it should open another window. Next click on properties and locate the check box called "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)". Select it and click the "Properties" button. "Obtain DNS server address automatically" should be checked when you open it. Go ahead and uncheck it by selecting "Use the following DNS server addresses".

Enter the following:

Preferred DNS server: 8 . 8 . 8 . 8
Alternate DNS server: 8 . 8 . 4 . 4

Then just hit "OK" and close all the windows. All web pages should be working now. If not try restarting your computer. This worked for me without restarting but I have heard of cases where users needed to restarts their computers in order for it to work.

(FYI: I am running windows 10 on the latest version of chrome)

Hope this helps!

rameshkanna

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017

Thank you! This helped me to fix the issue after spending so much of days looking for solution to fix my wireless issue with Windows 10.

Jonathan_146

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017

THANK YOUUU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS