Internet is ok but wifi is bad

CHaPyyy9

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
I got a problem that internet works well through lan cable on my pc and ps4 but the wifi is teribble. I have full signal on mobile and it works like 10 seconds full speed and then internet is slow and it always changes, one day it's completely ok and the other one doesn't work at all and the third one it works like 50/50. We have changed router 3 times and it works bad on every device that is connected by wifi not just on my phone. We called the internet provider and they said it's not their fault and everything is ok. I dont know what to do anymore. Appreciate any help

Solution
wifi signal strength can vary depending on several factors.

1. other people with wifi. theres only 'so many' channels avail. and if theres a lot of signal flooding your house, reception can become bad (due to confusion of channel signal)

2. neon/florecent lights (energy savers) can sometimes absorb signal, resulting in poor signal strength.

3. location of wifi router and recievers, sometimes we often forget that wifi signal is 'invisible light', it works like a super radio. ever had a wireless radio? turning the ariel in different directions results in differing quality of sound ... shouldnt happen with wifi (being such a powerful short range signal) but it can. why else do wifi routers/recievers come with ariels ;)

solution...

WildCard999

Titan
The only thing I can think of is updating the firmware on the router to see if that helps but since the performance is non consistent my guess is due to other internet users in your building and/or on your street. I notice less speed in my internet once ppl get out of work/school.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
wifi signal strength can vary depending on several factors.

1. other people with wifi. theres only 'so many' channels avail. and if theres a lot of signal flooding your house, reception can become bad (due to confusion of channel signal)

2. neon/florecent lights (energy savers) can sometimes absorb signal, resulting in poor signal strength.

3. location of wifi router and recievers, sometimes we often forget that wifi signal is 'invisible light', it works like a super radio. ever had a wireless radio? turning the ariel in different directions results in differing quality of sound ... shouldnt happen with wifi (being such a powerful short range signal) but it can. why else do wifi routers/recievers come with ariels ;)

solution:

place wifi router in an open area, free from walls and few energy saving lights.
possible (but ugly) use tinfoil to shield one side (best the outside of your house where other peoples wifi maybe coming from) - debatable if this works due to signal propegation.

Solution

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Will add to that as well, internal construction of your apartment/house can have an effect as well. The more walls it has to go through, the higher the chance for a WiFi signal to get weaker/degraded. And construction materials can affect it -- my house, for example, is one of those 1950s homes where they used a lot of metal in the construction (metal closet/room doors, metal doorframes, metal bracing in the walls, etc.); luckily, due to the small size of the house (40x24ft/12.2x7.3m single-story slab), our WiFi signal isn't as affected as the TV signal, but I'm sure it's having a small effect.