internet, is so slow reasons ?

Jul 14, 2018
Hi, I choose virgin media provider, but on my contract is 108 mega download, and optic fiber... i reach only max 50 mega when i am lucky and a horrible Ping (ms) 120, when is worst up 250....what do ?
I contact them, they make tests ecc and said the are in this month to increase speed, and is necessary wait to end this month...is this normal ? i not expert, i hope they are not thieves, because optic fiber is the best connection type, i lived for many years in a satellite connection. this is unbelievable !!!

Solution
It there is some form of modem or fiber optic termination box you could plug your pc directly into that which would eliminate the router.

Now if your router has some kind of modem in it....some so called "fiber" providers actually deliver via DSL....then you have much fewer options. You would have to find a router that was compatible with their system.

In general ping time will not be fixed by a different router. It is hard to say where the delay is but most issue with a router you will see packet loss or maybe lower speeds but not delay. Sometime you will see delay if the system is overloaded and they are buffering data but this happens at the ISP office not in your router....it can on upload but your problem seems to be...
This is why you always watch the installation and ask the tech to test with his pc before he leaves. If the tech can get the rated download speed plugging his PC into the router then you should get similar numbers with your PC.

In general most ISP deliver more than the rates they promise. It may at certain times of day have issues but off hours they generally run at the stated rates or faster.

Jul 14, 2018

thanks all, so the tech yesterday come to install, i test and was like day before, as well slow,
and he said, in 24h ISP will increase but never happen... what a shame i trusted to a sawdust brain!!

what do you advice ? i need good ping,for games, is so terrible up and down so fast from 45 to 120 is common.... and for increase download and upload performance get new router from virgin or not ?

thanks very much, i will be more carefull... but some solution what can be mostly for games low ping.

It there is some form of modem or fiber optic termination box you could plug your pc directly into that which would eliminate the router.

Now if your router has some kind of modem in it....some so called "fiber" providers actually deliver via DSL....then you have much fewer options. You would have to find a router that was compatible with their system.

In general ping time will not be fixed by a different router. It is hard to say where the delay is but most issue with a router you will see packet loss or maybe lower speeds but not delay. Sometime you will see delay if the system is overloaded and they are buffering data but this happens at the ISP office not in your router....it can on upload but your problem seems to be download.

Really the only thing that will cause delay in a router is WiFi and that is because WiFi unlike almost any other form of networking try to resolve data errors by retransmission. Most everything else just discards the data and leaves any retranmission to the application.

Solution
Jul 14, 2018
good news: i use a simple ethernet cable, cat 6, so ping is constantly 37 in 2 days, but from speed test is 9....upload is 110 upload always like 6.

thanks for all help really...i think is bad modem or router, if i use wifi is terrible... last house where i am wuth wi fi was totaly fine ping, this bec modem was better maybe ?