Question Internet is suddenly not good and keeps "freezing" on only my computer

Noah M

Honorable
Jun 10, 2015
Hello! Recently my internet on my computer has not been very good. I cannot play any online game because my screen will freeze then a second or two later teleport me someone else or reload the area. It can take a while for web pages to load now, which didn't happen before. I am not sure why this is happening. I cannot seem to trace it to any recent updates or downloads. After the problem I did update Windows, I did update the network drivers, I restarted the router and I restarted the modem. I have a Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter. It is a USB which just plugs right into the computer and does the job. I have unplugged it, blew in the areas where dust could be, tried different ports, and still nothing new happens. The internet on my phone has not changed, it works great. I have not noticed anything and no one has said anything to me about the internet being bad on their part (and they would if they experienced it). The only thing that I can think of is getting a new network adapter. However, before trying to order a new network adapter, does anyone have any tips or tricks and any suggestions on what I can do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and if you need me to give any more information just let me know!:bounce:

Reactions: panos4508
First thing I'd recommend you try is a known good wireless access point with sufficient throughput, or, better yet a wired connection to rule out all hardware other than that related to wireless...

That others are connected to and utilizing your your phone's hotspot only reinforces the potential for the 'marginal hotspot throughput' theory as a possibility. You've already ruled out a simple glitch or marginal USB port. If you know someone else that owns a USB wireless adapter that would let you borrow it to test, that would be a quick alternative to test before bothering to purchase one only to find out later your phone is /was throttling you after x amount of bandwidth is utilized per month, etc...

Reactions: Sambuca and gn842a

peters43gone

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Hello! Recently my internet on my computer has not been very good. I cannot play any online game because my screen will freeze then a second or two later teleport me someone else or reload the area. It can take a while for web pages to load now, which didn't happen before. I am not sure why this is happening. I cannot seem to trace it to any recent updates or downloads. After the problem I did update Windows, I did update the network drivers, I restarted the router and I restarted the modem. I have a Realtek RTL8811AU Wireless LAN802.11ac USB 2.0 Network Adapter. It is a USB which just plugs right into the computer and does the job. I have unplugged it, blew in the areas where dust could be, tried different ports, and still nothing new happens. The internet on my phone has not changed, it works great. I have not noticed anything and no one has said anything to me about the internet being bad on their part (and they would if they experienced it). The only thing that I can think of is getting a new network adapter. However, before trying to order a new network adapter, does anyone have any tips or tricks and any suggestions on what I can do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and if you need me to give any more information just let me know!:bounce:
Run an Internet speed test on your PC in normal mode, and check whether any background applications running.

As a troubleshooting step, run your PC in safe mode with networking and try to check your Internet speed using a speed test.

Also, check whether there any chances of wireless interference near your PC.

Jul 14, 2019
Sorry this is basically a big rambling list. I'm barely awake but just went through a similar issue myself and wanted to throw some ideas out there. I would start with trying a wired connection to the modem. Turn off all WiFi for this test if it's a combo gateway. Remember, Walmart will accept returns on anything. I've gone and bought an adapter for troubleshooting, only to return it days later. I also recommend keeping a detail list of what you've tried and don't get frustrated. One step at a time.

Is this a constant issue, or do you only experience at certain times? Did it ever work fine?

What kind of internet service do you have? What is your data plan?

How many devices does the network average?

What do most of the devices do on the network?

what game are you playing when you experience the screen freezing?

What modem and router, or combo modem/router do you have?

Can you run a test with an ethernet connection?

Have you tried eliminating the router and directly connecting through the modem?

You can try these two test https://www.monitis.com/free-tools

You can run a WinMTR

You can run speed test on dslreports.

You can try a VPN service and see if the rerouting makes a difference. Install it on the machine experiencing the problem.

Depending on your router, you could try QoS or SQM.

And as always, make sure you have no malware or operating system issues.

You can switch to OpenDNS.

Experiment disabling Windows Firewall and any other security software.

Check if there is any service issues with your ISP that could be affecting you.

If you're using wireless, what frequency? Are you on a dense channel?

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well there's a whole bunch of ideas on this thread
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/computer-freezes-while-playing-video-games.2792144/

If I understand correctly you're using one of those $15 or $20 dongles that are wireless adapters. I don't consider those very reliable.

Some of the classic issues-- closing down, difficulties on boot up--can be attributed to something with a system wide effect, like a failing PSU or a need to re-do the thermal paste on the cpu. If it's just happening in games I would narrow it down to the wireless adapter and the gpu as weak spots.

The gpu you can swap out for antoher and see if things improve. The wireless issue you can gets by getting an ethernet cable. I run the computers at my house on cable. Ethernet to the router and out to the world. I run wifi for guests and sitting lazy on the couch with a hand phone. Anyhow wireless can pose dependability problems (in general) and with a USB connected dongle (in particular).

Make a list of potential tests and solutions and do the cheap ones first. Putting a different gpu in is good if you have one from a previous build, or a friend with one. Zero cost test. Ethernet cable is probably six or ten bucks so that's a cheap one to test.

Good luck, Greg N

Keep it simple when trouble shooting.

Have someone else run Speedtest.net on their computer or do it on your phone if necessary to verify your internet service is really OK. If your service works fine take your internet adapter and plug it in on another computer and see if it works there. If it works on another PC then you'll need to remove the drivers from your PC and reinstall them...if it doesn't then you'll need to replace it.

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016

Have someone else run Speedtest.net on their computer or do it on your phone if necessary to verify your internet service is really OK. If your service works fine take your internet adapter and plug it in on another computer and see if it works there. If it works on another PC then you'll need to remove the drivers from your PC and reinstall them...if it doesn't then you'll need to replace it.
Phone idea is good for double checking. Do multiple tests over the hours when you usually game. And try to do at least one night that is typically busy, which I guess would be Saturday night.

Jul 23, 2019
If your net is not working then you must use the net boost which are available to your pc. You can also use the junk cleaner that helps you to get boost your system speed

Jul 30, 2019

This actually worked out quite well for me

Reactions: dorsai