[SOLVED] Internet issues

Jul 25, 2018
Every time I reboot my computer or hook a computer into my router I have to unplug my router and plug it back in otherwise I get an error saying "no internet" and "identifying" and/or "does not have a valid ip address"
I can get to the router and see other computers on the network but no internet
This also only happens with Windows; Linux connects with no issues
My setup is as follows:
Charter internet box --> router upstairs --> router (this is said router with connection issues) downstairs & WiFi extender
Connected ethernet cord from upstairs router to port 4 on downstairs router (if plugged into internet port it will not give internet)
Downstairs router is a Linksys WRT54GS
Both routers are WiFi capable but the downstairs has no wireless devices connected
Upstairs has several devices connected directly and through a Netgear WiFi extender located downstairs
Windows 7 Ultimate and 10 Home and Pro

Is there an easy fix for this or do I have to just unplug my router constantly?
It's a minor annoyance but still an annoyance

Ralston18

Titan
What may be happening is that a duplicate IP address is being created.

The problem is temporarily resolved when you unplug the router and all devices thereafter are given a new DHCP IP address,. (Excluding devices having an assigned static IP address.) Then another device joins the network and again a duplicate IP address is assigned.

Are you sure that only one router is enabled to provide DHCP IP addresses? Only one router, not both, should be issuing DHCP IP addresses.

Upstairs router most likely candidate to be assigning DHCP IP addresses as being the "main router".

Are you using any static IP addresses; i.e., the Netgear wireless extender, a printer, a NAS....?

If so, ensure that those static IP addresses are outside of the available DHCP IP address range and reserved for each individual device via the device's MAC.

Sketch out a simple network diagram of your network, then look at all of the attached devices. Make note of their respective IP addresses and subnet masks.

Jul 25, 2018
What may be happening is that a duplicate IP address is being created.

The problem is temporarily resolved when you unplug the router and all devices thereafter are given a new DHCP IP address,. (Excluding devices having an assigned static IP address.) Then another device joins the network and again a duplicate IP address is assigned.

Are you sure that only one router is enabled to provide DHCP IP addresses? Only one router, not both, should be issuing DHCP IP addresses.

Upstairs router most likely candidate to be assigning DHCP IP addresses as being the "main router".

Are you using any static IP addresses; i.e., the Netgear wireless extender, a printer, a NAS....?

If so, ensure that those static IP addresses are outside of the available DHCP IP address range and reserved for each individual device via the device's MAC.

Sketch out a simple network diagram of your network, then look at all of the attached devices. Make note of their respective IP addresses and subnet masks.
Upstairs router is the household's router along with the WiFi extender
Downstairs router is my personal router
How does one go about setting the router to NOT issue DHCP IP address?