Internet keeps disconnecting after CPU swap.

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016
Hardware:
i7 7700k
Gigabyte HD3P z170
16gb ddr4 2133 MHz

The issue:
Since the CPU change my internet would disconnect randomly. PUBG for instance became virtually unplayble due to getting disconnected every 30 seconds. When browsing websites i'd often get an network change error. I use ethernet, not wifi. What could be the cause of this? The issue only happened after i swapped the cpus.

UPDATE

The issue was a lot simpler to resolve than i initially persumed, i simply needed a network driver update. I didn't initially realize this when checking gigabyte's website because the driver is labeled a LAN driver there and i was looking for a separate ethernet/network driver.

Solution
Is this happening across the board? Are you having issues with other computers or the wifi on your phone?

With what you've given us, it sounds to me like one of a few things:
1) You have a bad cable
2) You have a bad port on your router
3) Your ethernet port on your motherboard might be bad

To troubleshoot, make sure ALL of your software is up to date. Power cycle your computer and try again. If that doesn't work, swap the ethernet cable and try a different port on the router. If that doesn't work, power cycle your router.

If those don't work, come back here and let us know, then we can try something else.

stdragon

Admirable
The CPU shouldn't be causing this. Try unplugging the Ethernet cable then back in again.

I'm thinking the cable had a questionable connection to begin with, and the act of moving the case around to swap the CPU caused an issue with it.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
Is this happening across the board? Are you having issues with other computers or the wifi on your phone?

With what you've given us, it sounds to me like one of a few things:
1) You have a bad cable
2) You have a bad port on your router
3) Your ethernet port on your motherboard might be bad

To troubleshoot, make sure ALL of your software is up to date. Power cycle your computer and try again. If that doesn't work, swap the ethernet cable and try a different port on the router. If that doesn't work, power cycle your router.

If those don't work, come back here and let us know, then we can try something else.

Solution

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
What was the previous cpu? I note the 7700K draws more power than most of the cpus on the support list.

So, psu output not enough to cope with the extra power?

Mobo not the best and having issues with the extra power draw (had plenty of crappy GB boards where the ethernet has died for no reason).

Mobo power cable not fully inserted. Start with this one as the fix is free.

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016

I tried unplugging then replugging, restarted the router as well, to no avail.I'm currently making sure that the network driver is up to date