Question Internet keeps disconnecting for ~30 seconds then reconnects automatically?

Jan 20, 2022
Sometimes it can happen about 4-5 times an hour, sometimes only 1 per day. It affects the whole house, I have an ethernet cable running into my PC. My roommate has wireless yet it affects us both. The internet just seems to die completely and i haven't found a pattern asto why. I have no idea what to do- Should i get a new router?

edit: found a pattern(?). Disconnects seems to become more frequent the longer the time between the last time i unplugged the router

Last edited:
Does the router have any kind of log. Does it appear if the router rebooted itself.

It could be the internet itself is dropping. If you have a separate modem you need to see if there are logs in that. You can unplug the coax cable from a cable modem and the router will not be able to tell that happened other than the internet doesn't work.

Jan 20, 2022
I turned the router on & off and unplugged the WAN cable to troubleshoot and now when i plug it back there's no internet at all. The internet symbol flickers so that should mean its sending it out but the devices say 'No Internet'. I checked the logs on the router but they were completely empty probably because i turned it off right before. When i troubleshoot on my PC it says 'The connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the internet is broken". Weird because all the cables are in place and looks to be working

You now have something even more complex.

If you connect to a switch then there must be another router and likely a modem in some other location.

It can be your router, the switch, the cables going in and out of the switch. The actual router, the modem or even the internet.

Not sure what to recommend since it is likely someone else set some of this up.