Internet keeps disconnecting

starrynight7

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
My internet has been inconsistent of late. Sometimes up for 5 minutes, 30 minutes or a couple hours. Sometimes running very smooth. Sometimes slow and sometimes down.

My current connection is: Time Warner > SURFboard SB6141 modem > TP-Link Archer C9 router. The desktop has a wired connection from the router. All other devices are wireless connections (laptop, 2 printers, phone, tablet, xbox one and roku).

Was I first began to experience the problem, in an attempt to isolate it, I disconnected the router and went straight from the modem to the desktop. After two-three days of this direct connection, I experienced zero internet problems on the desktop.

Assuming that the router was the problem I ordered the TP-Link to replace an "old" Linksys E1500. After connecting and setting up the TP-Link, everything worked great, for about 1/2 a day. Then the issues returned.

I ran "ping www.google.com -t > pinglog.txt" from the CMD for a couple of hours and saw 20 drops. While I mostly saw times= around 23-25ms, there were several stretches where the times jumped to 1000-2000+.

I am at a loss of how to proceed. If someone could point me in the right direction to finding a solution, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

G

Is the wired desktop the only device with this problem? If it's not, it could be that your modem or internet connection is faulty. In this case you should contact your ISP.

starrynight7

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Thank you for your reply.

When I had the direct wired connection to the desktop testing over the 2-3 days, the desktop worked. Nothing else "worked" as I was not pushing a wireless signal out over that time. (Just used cellular for the phone and did without the rest.)

When I had the connection going through the router, with the desktop a direct wired connection to the router and everything else wireless, when the internet connection was up everything worked. When it was down everything did not work.

**update**
Still unable to figure the situation out I have not made any changes since. That being said, everything has been up and working for the last 3-4 days.

Maybe it is faulty wires coming to the house or inside of it? When things were not working, it was a hot spell with some rain. The last few days have been mild and dry. ??