[SOLVED] Internet kicking me from online lobbies, but not displaying any other issue.

Aug 22, 2020
So recently (After a storm we had blow through) I started having an issue playing any online game. The connection, ping, and everything seems alright, but all games will randomly, in the middle of a match, say, "connection lost". I have called the ISP and talked to them about it, and even they don't understand what it is. I even changed to a new ethernet cord in hopes that it would remedy it. After that, I noticed that while I'm in a call (via Discord) that the connection itself is fine, I can still be heard and nothing actually drops, but my connection will suddenly go red for a second and return to green. It happens quite often. Does anyone know what could be the issue?

Solution
Physically inspect as much of your ISP and network cabling that you can. Do so safely - no climbing on roofs, etc..

Look for signs of damage, loose connections, corrosion, etc. on all cable and connectors. The winds and rain may have caused or aggravated some issue.

Coax? Unscrew the connections and blow out water and debris. Any splitters? Splitters are made very cheaply and if there was some electrical surge then the splitter could be faulty.

The same process should be used for all internal network connections. Ethernet cables, wall jacks, etc..

Noted that you changed to a new ethernet cable. Try other known working ethernet cables - just in case. "New" does not absolutely mean something is going to work. (As...

Ralston18

Titan
Physically inspect as much of your ISP and network cabling that you can. Do so safely - no climbing on roofs, etc..

Look for signs of damage, loose connections, corrosion, etc. on all cable and connectors. The winds and rain may have caused or aggravated some issue.

Coax? Unscrew the connections and blow out water and debris. Any splitters? Splitters are made very cheaply and if there was some electrical surge then the splitter could be faulty.

The same process should be used for all internal network connections. Ethernet cables, wall jacks, etc..

Noted that you changed to a new ethernet cable. Try other known working ethernet cables - just in case. "New" does not absolutely mean something is going to work. (As much as we all would like.)

What network adapter are you using? If applicable, doublecheck to determine if it is fully and firmly in place.

Make and model router? The router's logs if available and enabled may have captured some error information.

Who has admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Reactions: Mirankor
Solution
Aug 22, 2020
Thanks for the response. That's very helpful for future issues. I tested a lot out, and finally decided to direct connect to the modem, bypassing the router. Everything worked flawlessly, so the router is behind it. (I swapped the ethernet cable connecting the router and modem as well to make sure) Will have a new one here shortly from the ISP, so I just need to wait a few more days.

TRENDING THREADS