[SOLVED] Internet lags and shows high ping while all tests show positive (after upgrading modem)

Sep 21, 2019
Lets start with saying this, i did not have any of these problems before they changed the modem.

So recently my ISP released faster internet wich i called for and asked them to activate it, they said fine but we have to install a new modem...
Week later, my modem is installed speedtest shows 200mb/s and ping 10-20 so far so good..

I start gaming and notice immense lag spikes, i start watching youtube videos on my phone, immense lag spikes...
Made a batch file to check all worlds (of the games i play) and they were showing all a ping of 100-200 wich was around 10-20 before the upgrade..?
I join discord for the first time and all my friends are like damn ur lagging... so i check my ping on discord 1500-2000 and poor connection. (around 20 before)

So next day i called my provider and explained this to them... they tested the connection and said "well your ping shows 10 on speedtest so we cant do anything problem must be on your side"
im now wondering whats wrong with my router or whatever i am doing wrong ? even considering leaving my current provider to change to another one...
any of you know a solution maybe a setting in the modem settings ?

when testing ping on cmd my dns gives 100% packet loss and my gatheway 0 loss but average 500 ping

i also changed my dns but this still had high ping

Last edited:
Solution
First be sure you test everything using ethernet cables. Strange high latency s is very common on wifi.

Your problems maybe load related. Speedtest only checks the ping when it first start. The ping is expected to increase when the line is under maximum load so it means little if speedtest would test while it is transferring.

You should run ping to say 8.8.8.8 both when nothing else is running and when you have say a youtube video playing. Since you will not be using 100% of your bandwidth with just 1 video you might see a very small increase in the ping time but it should not be much.

Load related delays can be problems with the line and are harder for a ISP to find. It can also be a router cpu issue but a line problem is...
First be sure you test everything using ethernet cables. Strange high latency s is very common on wifi.

Your problems maybe load related. Speedtest only checks the ping when it first start. The ping is expected to increase when the line is under maximum load so it means little if speedtest would test while it is transferring.

You should run ping to say 8.8.8.8 both when nothing else is running and when you have say a youtube video playing. Since you will not be using 100% of your bandwidth with just 1 video you might see a very small increase in the ping time but it should not be much.

Load related delays can be problems with the line and are harder for a ISP to find. It can also be a router cpu issue but a line problem is the most common.

Solution