Internet latency spikes after reinstalling Windows 10

keereeyos

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Long story short, my internet was completely fine before I reinstalled Windows a few days ago. After, I started getting ping spikes and micro-disconnections (where the connection would literally drop for about 0.3 sec and reconnect and drop again in another 5 seconds or so; Windows doesn't recognize this as an actual disconnection). It's not a hardware problem because my hardware is completely the same (other than a CPU cooler) before and after reinstallation. I replaced my old ethernet with a brand new Cat6 cable; I also tried two different wireless adapters but with no solution. I contacted my ISP and they couldn't find anything on their end outside of potentially sending a technician. Software-wise, I updated the ethernet driver, and have been closely monitoring Resource Monitor and see no potential culprit. No additional programs running outside of the essentials (AI Suite, Geforce, Web browser). Also tried power-cycling both the modem and router to no avail.

Specs:
i5 4670k OC'd to 4.2 ghz
Maximus VI Hero mobo
Asus GTX 970
16gb RAM
750w PSU
120 + 500 GB SSDs
2 TB HDD

Solution
That is extremely strange. If you have actual packet loss or delays you would see it start in say hop1 and then continue to the end of the trace.

If some router in the path is actually having a issue it would impact traffic going to devices beyond it.

So I misread your post and you say it happens on multiple devices so I deleted the rest of my post.

This trace actually shows no real problems. There are many reasons you can get packet loss to intermediate hops. The most common is the router is busy passing traffic to end nodes and doesn't want to bother using its cpu resources to respond to ping traffic which it considers secondary to passing traffic.

You may need to leave constant ping run to some of the hops. Tools like you...
Any other devices on the network experiencing this ... if not, then I expect it is an issue with your computer.

When you say the connection drops, are you seeing the lights on the ethernet port go out and then come back on?
Do these lag spike/disconnect have any relation to CPU usage? Do you a CPU temperature monitor ... is it possible the new cooler is not working properly and you getting heat induced throttling (USB and on board ethernet use the CPU)?
Is Windows updating (I have seen massive slowdowns when windows decides to update)?

Those are kinda of the easy things to check. From there you get into the possibility of file corruption due to a bad copy, something inside the computer got bumped while you were working, or just something weird ... all of which are much harder to track down.

keereeyos

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

CPU temps are completely fine. It's a Noctua cooler with fresh thermal paste; at 100% load it goes to about 55-60 celsius.

Anyway, I installed PingPlotter to see if it could find anything and lo and behold it did:

q71TcIV.png

The first two listed hops are my ISPs. I tested it on my laptop as well (with wireless though; also Windows 10) and it showed the same results. Now that I'm leaning towards an ISP problem, can it also possibly have something to do with Windows 10?

That is extremely strange. If you have actual packet loss or delays you would see it start in say hop1 and then continue to the end of the trace.

If some router in the path is actually having a issue it would impact traffic going to devices beyond it.

So I misread your post and you say it happens on multiple devices so I deleted the rest of my post.

This trace actually shows no real problems. There are many reasons you can get packet loss to intermediate hops. The most common is the router is busy passing traffic to end nodes and doesn't want to bother using its cpu resources to respond to ping traffic which it considers secondary to passing traffic.

You may need to leave constant ping run to some of the hops. Tools like you are using do not run long enough and do not catch problems that are intermittent.

Solution