[SOLVED] Internet location query

Feb 16, 2021
Hi all,
QQ - recently moved back to the UK to an older house. House has two BT phone sockets (no ethernet ports) - one downstairs and one up. I want to have the Sky router downstairs but plug my xbox in upstairs without running an ethernet through the house. When I tried the router upstairs the the Wifi isn't great downstairs. Is there a way I can have the router downstairs but Xbox up. looked into:

-Google Nest - issue is I have a sky router and dont want a double NAT which I understand happens as the Sky hub will not allow modem mode.
  • Dont really want to use a Wifi siginal extender and have the issues of running two wifi networks (switching between etc)
  • Using the Xbox on Wifi isn't great - huge ping spikes

Can I plug the xbox directly into the wall with a BT phone to RJ85 connector?

any ideas would be welcome guys

cheers all

Solution
Using a WiFi extender won't cause issues with switching between devices.

No you can't use phone wiring for ethernet.

If the power wiring to the house is in good shape you can use power line networking, more stable than a poor wifi signal.
Using a WiFi extender won't cause issues with switching between devices.

No you can't use phone wiring for ethernet.

If the power wiring to the house is in good shape you can use power line networking, more stable than a poor wifi signal.

Solution
Feb 16, 2021
Thank you very much. So the extender won't have a different network to the sky WiFi? I thought your phone needs to connect to a different network on an extender.

Will look into power adapters

Cheers