Question Internet losing connecting until manually reconnected

james3906

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Hi,

Ever since I built my computer 2 years ago, I have had this WIFI problem combing back at random times. My WIFI every 10 minutes (or sometimes less) will suddenly get no internet connection from my network, until I manually reconnect and then it acts normally. Then 5 minutes later it will happen again. I've tried installing new drivers but this hasn't seemed to fix it (unless I have installed the wrong drivers). I have also gotten a new NIC which has not resolved the problem? Anyone know how about I could fix this as it's now extremely frustrating.
(It has lost connection 3 times as I wrote this post in about 3 minutes)

Thank you!

Device Specs:
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 58F27F2F-9D9E-4BDC-B922-F0E4418EDA33
Product ID 00325-85341-42974-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

OS Specs:
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎25/‎03/‎2021
OS build 19042.1415
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Current NIC: Ubit AX200

Current Network Adapters:
Network Adapters

IPCONFIG/ALL:
ipconfig

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Sounds like interference but, are you using the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band? The 2.4 will be stronger albeit slower but it’s a good test if you’re using the 5 band.
Additionally, I would change the channel being used by the router if the 5 band is your pref selection.

Did you go through all of the Control Panel Power Options to make sure everything is set to High Performance and Maximum Performance? Also did you go through the Device Manager settings for your wifi, usb and network adapters and make sure the Power Management option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked?

james3906

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Sounds like interference but, are you using the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band? The 2.4 will be stronger albeit slower but it’s a good test if you’re using the 5 band.
Additionally, I would change the channel being used by the router if the 5 band is your pref selection.
Currently using the 2.5 Ghz Band. Could possibly be interference considering this problem has now stopped for the past day or two, however I know it will come back randomly at some time.

james3906

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Did you go through all of the Control Panel Power Options to make sure everything is set to High Performance and Maximum Performance? Also did you go through the Device Manager settings for your wifi, usb and network adapters and make sure the Power Management option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked?
Turns out this box was checked so I have just unticked it, do you think this could resolve the problem then?

Reactions: dwd999

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Additionally, and because you built the pc, make sure your wifi antenna is actually connected. Easy to forget Unless your NIC has external antennae. I like to use NirSoft’s free wifiinfoview to check Signal strength etc.

Last edited:

james3906

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Additionally, and because you built the pc, make sure your wifi antenna is actually connected. Easy to forget Unless your NIC has external antennae. I like to use NirSoft’s free wifiinfoview to check Signal strength etc.
My current and previous NIC have both had external antennae which were correctly installed, so I assume the problem is just down to some form of interference?

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Likely. Use the app from NirSoft. It will give you all the info you need to see your signal strength, and all the other wifi networks in your vicinity. Use the info to select an alternate channel to use for your connection via the router UI. If you didn’t have this trouble before your build, were you still using wifi from the same location? What changed?

james3906

Reputable
May 22, 2017
Likely. Use the app from NirSoft. It will give you all the info you need to see your signal strength, and all the other wifi networks in your vicinity. Use the info to select an alternate channel to use for your connection via the router UI. If you didn’t have this trouble before your build, were you still using wifi from the same location? What changed?
Just a quick one, when my internet cuts out, the software will still detect other networks and their changing signal strength, and my network will stay on the same strength until (if my connection comes back on without me manually reconnecting) then it will shoot up too 99 strength for a second. Not sure if this rules anything out?

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Just so I understand…when the network is up, what is the reading for your signal strength? You say it shoots up to 99, but from what? What router are you using and how far is it from your desktop PC? Also, go to the dos command prompt and type
ipconfig /all and post your results.