Question Internet not working after sleep/restart

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hello everyone!

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having. I just built my first PC, specs below, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Surprisingly, everything has gone amazingly well! The system is stable after some brief benchmarking, I've played some games on it, temperatures look great!

Except for one thing: Whenever my PC goes into sleep mode, I have a rough time connecting to the websites when it wakes up. This also happens if I restart the computer, but not if I power off and then turn it back on. On start up, it works very well! But after waking form sleep it's like it only half connects to web pages. Some of them time out.

It's only happening on this PC and it's happening in all web browsers I've tried (Edge, Chrome, Firefox). If anyone can help me I'd very much appreciate it! Please remember that I really don't know what I'm doing as I have no mentor to help me and so have had to jump into this by myself.

----------

Some things I've tried:

- I've gone into the settings in the device manager and set the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller to not turn off the device to save power.

- in Networking, I've selected change adapter settings, right clicked on the ethernet adapter (only one in there), and set the IPV4 (TCP/IPv4) properties to use the preferred and alternate DNS settings to Open DNS's values.

- When I right click my adapter and select diagnose, what it returns is "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding", both before and after changing my DNS settings from Auto to Open DNS.

-------

PC SPECS:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2600

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)

Motherboard
ASRock B450M Steel Legend (AM4)

Graphics
K242HQL (1920x1080@59Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Gigabyte)

Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50 SATA (SSD))

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Power Source
Seasonic S12III 650 SSR-650GB3 650W 80+ Bronze

It maybe a ip address issue. It will claim dns issues when the internet is completely down. It tends to be stupid sometimes,

So first step is to ping your router ip and a ip like 8.8.8.8. This will show if you have network connectivity,

Then try nslookup www.google.com and nslookup www.google.com 8.8.8.8

This is to see if your default dns server has issues and/or the google dns server (8.8.8.8) also has issues

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
It maybe a ip address issue. It will claim dns issues when the internet is completely down. It tends to be stupid sometimes,

So first step is to ping your router ip and a ip like 8.8.8.8. This will show if you have network connectivity,

Then try nslookup www.google.com and nslookup www.google.com 8.8.8.8

This is to see if your default dns server has issues and/or the google dns server (8.8.8.8) also has issues

Okay...so, like, how do I ping a router ip?

Also what is nslookup?

Also also: Like I said, this only happens when my PC wakes from sleep mode or is reset. Like, currently, it's working beautifully because I've turned off sleep mode. Once I understand what you're asking me to do, should I do these things AFTER re-enabling sleep mode?

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
They are command issued from the cmd windows. You want to use these commands when the problem is happening.
Thank you for baring with me!

So here is what the output looked like when I pinged my router's default gateway, and when I used NSlookup on 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, and www.google.com. I changed my DNS from Open DNS to google's to see if there was a difference and there wasn't.

C9lmXtv.png

Ug6XgVj.png

I hope I did this right.

It's happened on start up once or twice now too. And strangely, I also noticed my DNS automatically changed back from google's for some reason. It's also worth noting, through this while the computer was asleep and while it woke back up into its usual network problems, all the other computers int he house had no problem accessing any website at all.

I must not have read this question completely or only read the last line.

The key indicator is that you get loss to your router in your first ping test.

I wish I knew what this was. You could try a different cable just in case it is not being detected correctly when the computer comes back up. Be sure the cable you have is pure copper with wire size 22-24. There is lots of fake cable made from CCA on the market.

Check the bios to make sure it does not have power save settings at that level.

Maybe the event viewer has a code that tell something interesting but many of these just mean the same thing you already know the ethernet port is down for some unkown reason.

And out of desperation try to turn off the IPv6 support not that I think that is the problem but IPv6 may function with ipv4 does not so it may completely fail

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I must not have read this question completely or only read the last line.

The key indicator is that you get loss to your router in your first ping test.

I wish I knew what this was. You could try a different cable just in case it is not being detected correctly when the computer comes back up. Be sure the cable you have is pure copper with wire size 22-24. There is lots of fake cable made from CCA on the market.

Check the bios to make sure it does not have power save settings at that level.

Maybe the event viewer has a code that tell something interesting but many of these just mean the same thing you already know the ethernet port is down for some unkown reason.

And out of desperation try to turn off the IPv6 support not that I think that is the problem but IPv6 may function with ipv4 does not so it may completely fail

I will search for a cable to try. I'm using the yellow one that came with my netgear router if that's any indicator. I will also look in the bios. Unfortunately my motherboard's manual isn't that deluxe. Will the feature I'm looking for be called power save? And if it's there, I should disable it?

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hello everyone!

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having. I just built my first PC, specs below, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Surprisingly, everything has gone amazingly well! The system is stable after some brief benchmarking, I've played some games on it, temperatures look great!

Except for one thing: Whenever my PC goes into sleep mode, I have a rough time connecting to the websites when it wakes up. This also happens if I restart the computer, but not if I power off and then turn it back on. On start up, it works very well! But after waking form sleep it's like it only half connects to web pages. Some of them time out.

It's only happening on this PC and it's happening in all web browsers I've tried (Edge, Chrome, Firefox). If anyone can help me I'd very much appreciate it! Please remember that I really don't know what I'm doing as I have no mentor to help me and so have had to jump into this by myself.

----------

Some things I've tried:

- I've gone into the settings in the device manager and set the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller to not turn off the device to save power.

- in Networking, I've selected change adapter settings, right clicked on the ethernet adapter (only one in there), and set the IPV4 (TCP/IPv4) properties to use the preferred and alternate DNS settings to Open DNS's values.

- When I right click my adapter and select diagnose, what it returns is "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding", both before and after changing my DNS settings from Auto to Open DNS.

-------

PC SPECS:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2600

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)

Motherboard
ASRock B450M Steel Legend (AM4)

Graphics
K242HQL (1920x1080@59Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 580 Series (Gigabyte)

Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50 SATA (SSD))

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Power Source
Seasonic S12III 650 SSR-650GB3 650W 80+ Bronze

----------------------
Why was this moved? This is not a networking problem.

Last edited:

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
I need help figuring out why my Asrock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard's Lan port doesn't work right after waking from sleep mode.

I tried to post here, but someone moved it to Networking after I already had a thread there that showed it's not a networking problem. Something isn't set right with the motherboard. I would either like that thread moved here or please don't delete this one.

Why was this moved? This is not a networking problem.
Please do not double-post is bad etiquette.

U have problem access the Internet, this is not networking? is not storage, the rest of the motherboard is functioning...

From the above, you should be able pinging your gateway successfully every single time, no timeout, and no more than a few millisecond response and very consistent. From the above, that's bad.

Most ethernet problem is caused by not proper LAN driver, followed by bad/fake cables.

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Please do not double-post is bad etiquette.

U have problem access the Internet, this is not networking? is not storage, the rest of the motherboard is functioning...

From the above, you should be able pinging your gateway successfully every single time, no timeout, and no more than a few millisecond response and very consistent. From the above, that's bad.

Most ethernet problem is caused by not proper LAN driver, followed by bad/fake cables.

It's the cable that came with the Router and I tried it on every other pc in the house over the last few days with 0 problems.

I understand that I should be able to ping the router. This doesn't change the fact that this only happens when power is interrupted via sleep, shutdown, or restart. Something isn't right with my board and I'm trying to figure out if it's a setting or if the board is just messed up.

As for the drivers, I've checked everywhere I can think to check. The CD that cam with my board had drivers and I've installed them, uninstalled them and reinstalled them. The Asrock download page has the exact same drivers.

mrlawton81

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Look at the Power Management tab page for your Network adapter's Properties in Windows' Device Manager. Is the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" check box checked or unchecked?

I actually had come across some advice on another website, which was to uncheck this. I did but the problem appears unchanged. Sorry, I forgot to add that to the list of things I tried.

TRENDING THREADS