[SOLVED] Internet not working on PC, but works on other devices

M4rK0n1

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
2 days ago, I was working on my PC and was about to open Chrome to check something, but it said that I had no internet. I checked my phone, which was connected to the same network, and it had Wi-Fi, but the PC couldn't connect to the internet. I restarted the router, waited a little, and after it turned on, the lamp for the internet was glowing red, and at that point I couldn't connect to the network via phone either. I figured it was an issue with my internet provider, as it tends to happen, so I waited about 4-5 hours. Since the internet didn't come back, I contacted my provider's tech support. The woman told me to use command prompt and ipconfig, and I followed the instructions, but it was to no avail. She said how the next day they'd contact me for further instructions. Yesterday, they contacted me and it turns out that the wifi works fine. My mom can connect to the network via laptop and I can connect to the internet via any device other than my PC. The ethernet cable is fine, I tried switching ports, I tried messing around with the network settings (they gave me instructions as to what to do), I tried disabling the ipv6 thingy, but nothing worked. My router works fine, my phone has wifi, my mom's laptop has wifi, but I simply can't get the internet to work on my PC at all. I assume this is a software issue, and I'm not sure what the cause is, but are there any suggestions you could give me? I'm thinking of reinstalling Windows or something, but I'm not sure if I should resort to such "drastic" measures and I can't help but feel like there's a way to resolve this in a simpler way. I should also note that I've tried restarting my PC and router multiple times, but nothing seems to be working.

Solution
Create an Ubuntu Live USB Flash drive. I'd say use your Mom's laptop if you don't have another computer. To create the Ubuntu USB. Boot off it and see if you can connect to the internet. If you can. You know it is a Windows issue. If you can't you know it is hardware.

If it is Windows.
  • If you are using a third part firewall. Uninstall it.
  • Open Windows Firewall (I think the latest name is Defender firewall). Reset all firewall settings to default.
  • Open and elevated Command Prompt (Right click - open as administrator). Try the following commands "netsh int ip reset c:/reset.log" and "netsh winsock reset".
  • Go into Device Manager. Delete all the installed network adapters. When asked do not delete the drivers.
  • Restart...
Create an Ubuntu Live USB Flash drive. I'd say use your Mom's laptop if you don't have another computer. To create the Ubuntu USB. Boot off it and see if you can connect to the internet. If you can. You know it is a Windows issue. If you can't you know it is hardware.

If it is Windows.
  • Open Windows Firewall (I think the latest name is Defender firewall). Reset all firewall settings to default.
  • Open and elevated Command Prompt (Right click - open as administrator). Try the following commands "netsh int ip reset c:/reset.log" and "netsh winsock reset".
  • Go into Device Manager. Delete all the installed network adapters. When asked do not delete the drivers.
  • Restart your PC. The network adapters should reinstall automatically. These steps pretty well reset networking in Windows.
If it is hardware. Get a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter or PCIe/PCI card if your computer has the available slots. PCIe/PCI is better than USB.

Reactions: M4rK0n1
Solution

M4rK0n1

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

If it is Windows.
  • Restart your PC. The network adapters should reinstall automatically. These steps pretty well reset networking in Windows.
If it is hardware. Get a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter or PCIe/PCI card if your computer has the available slots. PCIe/PCI is better than USB.
Thanks for the response. I have been trying various things for these past 2 hours, including the commands you've stated here, but ultimately nothing worked. I would like to note, however, that I restarted my modem once again as a last ditch effort, and the internet lamp is glowing red now as it did 2 days ago. The internet provider insisted that this is a PC issue, as they were somehow capable of enabling my WLAN and enabling other devices to connect to the network. Up until 30 minutes ago, prior to restarting the modem, all my devices could connect to my network, with the exception of my PC. Now I'm once again unable. I will try contacting them again, as I currently can't establish an internet connection on my mom's laptop either (if I could, i would try the ubuntu flash drive suggestion you made)

TRENDING THREADS