[SOLVED] Internet not working/really slow until restarting PC

Apr 17, 2020
The PC which is connected to an ethernet port would randomly lose connection/ become unbearably slow. For example, if I were to open up a webpage it would just be stuck loading with no results depite Windows saying it connected to the internet the icon would appear as it would normally would. The PC would seem to have just stopped connecting or would be extremely slow making it un-usable. This seem to go away as soon as I restart the PC. All the other device connected on through wifi don't have this problem and connect fine. I can also still be able accesses the router page through the PC.

I've tried:
Restarting router /Resetting

ipconfig /release
ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Sfc /scannow to looked for corrupted files. (Found and fixed some files but the issue still persisted)

Scanning for Malware (Used Malwarebytes and Windows Defender all coming out clean)

Also noticed when this happens it doesn't just drop but other programs that still connected won't be affected until closed and reopened. For example I would be using chrome and it would working fine but then when I open other programs and they won't connect but as soon I close Google Chrome it would happen to it as well.
Though I am hesitant to reset Windows/PC still need the lots of the files and programs but don't have means to properly back it up especially during these global circumstances.

I've been have the issue of this for a couple months now would occur every couple weeks or even just within a couple days. The only major hardware changes were switch the router though I'm not how to determine that since it the one issues by the service providers and don't have another on hand and definitely conclude if it is or isn't. I'm stumped on how to fix it, anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks (also sorry for misspellings/grammar on mobile as of writing this)

System :
Windows 10
Ryzen 1500x
16gb Ram
Rx 480
2Tb HHD

Last edited:
Solution
I think I may have figured it out now at least to what is causing it.

Its either router or the antivirus software Malwarebytes.
Though I have strong suspicion it is Malwarebytes. I used another my desktop that connected through WIFI. I have routine of scanning the PCs daily with the software Malwarebytes and thats when it seems occur from what I've noticed. I didn't use Malwarebytes on my main PC and the issue has not appear as of yet but when I used it on the other PC the same/similar issue appeared.

So from what I seen so far, I think there must be a bug or error in the Malwarebytes software that might be causing this. Or could be the router.

Ralston18

Titan
On your PC check that only one network adapter is enabled. Either wired or wireless. Not both.

If you are using an Ethernet connection then only the wired adapter should be enabled. Wireless adapter disabled.

Do try another known working Ethernet cable.

You may be able to identify where performance is being lost by using Task Manager or Resource Monitor.

Pick on (do not use both at the same time) and observe system performance first while not browsing and then while browsing.

Look for some app or process that starts running in the background. May trying to update, backup, or simply "phoning home". Could be buggy or corrupted.

Reinstall Chrome.

Apr 17, 2020
Ok, thanks I'll try some these. I checked the Network adapter though the motherboard does not have any wifi/ wireless capabilities. Tried reinstalling Chrome and as well as other some other programs. Also tries testing out the Ethernet cable and they seem fine.

I'll get back with a response later if they worked, hopefully doesn't happen anymore.

Apr 17, 2020

Though I have strong suspicion it is Malwarebytes. I used another my desktop that connected through WIFI. I have routine of scanning the PCs daily with the software Malwarebytes and thats when it seems occur from what I've noticed. I didn't use Malwarebytes on my main PC and the issue has not appear as of yet but when I used it on the other PC the same/similar issue appeared.

So from what I seen so far, I think there must be a bug or error in the Malwarebytes software that might be causing this. Or could be the router.

Solution
Apr 17, 2020

Yep, figure it out I think, was the Malwarebytes antivirus program causing the issues. Updated it and used less frequently and hasn't happen anymore as of now.