Internet not working

Phatbisket

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
I am currently having a LAN party and at LAN parties I will take my Asus RK-AC66R and set it next to my computer instead of next to my modem which is in the room next to it. In order to plug the router into the modem I've got an Ethernet running through the wall to an RCA Ethernet wall mount. The past three LAN parties I've had this summer the router would get internet connection and there were not any problems but when we went to plug it into the wall this time it said "no internet connection" with the little yellow triangle. I moved it back to the same room and now the internet doesn't work at all and the only Internet that does it the XfinityWifi network that comes from the modem/router combo that is used as the modem. I've reseated and reset both the router and the modem multiples times and they both say they have Internet connection on the lights but it still doesn't work. What do I do?

Ralston18

Titan
Confirm that you are using all of the correct ethernet ports (i.e., modem to router, router to devices) and that you correctly configured the router to the pre-reset configuration that was working. Very easy sometimes to overlook or forget some relevant setting..... Watch for typos.

Check your cables and plugs. Swap out each cable with a known fully working cable. Especially the cable connecting the modem and router.

Open up the RCA Ethernet wall jack and check that all of wires are securely punched down. Nothing loose or wiggly. (You may have caused one of the internal connections to come loose during the previous plug-ins at the earlier LAN parties. One of the wires could even now be completely disconnected.) Do the same for the other end of that wire.

Keep notes on what you do and the results. Post results accordingly.