Question Internet on computer stops working

lukesuperstarfish

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
Internet on computer stops working for only pc and trying to put to sleep mode fails and pushes me to force shut down. (figuring out source of issue).

A very strange situation that i cannot directly pinpoint, but i think it has something to do with my ethernet maybe, something with drivers but i can't be too sure.

The situation is that the first time it happened was i was doing an internet speed test with my ethernet plugged in, suddenly all the internet stopped and it said i had no internet access with the ethernet. I unplugged it and it said the wifi did have internet access, but i couldn't connect to the internet anyway. I couldn't fix it.

So i try to put the computer into sleep mode but that didn't work as the pc stayed on along with the fans blaring rather loudly, i had to force it to shut down by holding the button. turning it on prompted me to restart it which i did and that fixed the problem temporarily. It came back again later during another internet speed test and i did the same process, ending up having to press teh button again.

The third time happened while downloading games very fast on steam, the internet stopped and nothing would work. I restarted the pc this time. When the computer came back up the wifi worked fine but i wouldn't have any internet access with the ethernet cable no matter what, even though that very modem was giving me internet through it's wifi.

When i turned steam back on the ethernet cable suddenly started having internet access again and everything was working. this confused me even more and that's the current state i'm in right now.

To mention, when it messed up that 3rd time i looked at my task manager and saw that there were processes called system and "system interrupted" system interrupted was around 10 to 15% cpu usage the entire time, system at a constant 20% and i think that's what was keeping my computer to entering sleep mode normally, so it makes me think that whatever is happening with the internet and ethernet is related to something within the computer. I'm hoping to find the source of this so i don't have to worry about the internet shutting down whenever i plan to use etherner or the internet at all. Any help would be wonderful, and thank you.

PC:
Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5577
Intel Core i5 2.50GHz
gtx 1050
8gb ram
Windows 10

Ralston18

Titan
From your post:

"When the computer came back up the wifi worked fine but i wouldn't have any internet access with the ethernet cable no matter what, even though that very modem was giving me internet through it's wifi."

On your PC doublecheck or otherwise verify that only one network adapter is enabled. Either wired or wireless.

Not both.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran