Internet over Wifi bridge to TV

keveen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I bought an AKORD - Nexx 3020H Wirelss 300mbps travel router - very nice.

I have an Humax Freeview Box and a Satellite box which require an ethernet cable to connect to the internet.

I already have 2 Homeplugs in use so this neat little router was bought to use as a bridge from my main Wifi router to the Freeview box via an ethernet cable output which the mini router has. the trouble is if I connect to the Nexx wifi signal it does not also provide Internet access. Well I think it is supposed to but I can't work out how.

It has 4 modes:
*Wifi repeater
*Hotel (AP mode)
*Wifi NAS
*Home and Dorm - DHCP, Static IP and PPPoE

I used Wifi repeater. I want the Freeview box to use the Nexx router to connect to the internet! No clear idea what I am doing or how to get to the next step. I can access the Wifi on m PC folder via the Nexx (from my tablet) so it is working, but just not the internet.

Or do I need to use another mode?

Solution
Not at all uncommon.

End user installation instructions are all too frequently out of step with the what and why of the installation process.

Any number of reasons: Over-simplified to mask product weaknesses, cut and paste rewrites using older procedures, software/screen changes that are not added into the installation process, little or no QA with regards to consistency, etc..

However, with respect to the situation at hand this caught my eye: In #3 "Make sure the Security settings are DISABLED."

Unless you enabled security again at some point afterwards, your network and devices may be open and vulnerable to hacking and breaching.

Take a closer look at the details and settings. Get the security settings enabled or at least...

Ralston18

Titan
As I understand your intention is to "bridge from main Wifi router to the Freeview box via an ethernet cable" via the Nexx in Repeater Mode.

Correct?

ISP -----> Main wifi router ~~~~~wireless~~~~~~~> Nexx [LAN] --------ethernet wire ---------> Freeview box

Where are you fitting in the satellite box?

Can you expand the above "sketch" to fill things in? Especially the Powerline Ethernet adapters (Home plugs).

The Nexx will be configured with a static IP, subnet mask, the appropriate SSID, password, protocols, and encryptions necessary to join your home network and serve as necessary with respect to the mode requirement.

Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the Nexx?

This may be the link provided I have identified the Nexx correctly.

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=2241507

What is the Private IP address on the main wifi router (make and model)? The Nexx default IP according to one site I found was 192.168.1.1 which could be in conflict with the main router.

Once the bigger picture and overall requirements are understood then the necessary configuration can be established.

keveen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
It was really complicated and the instructions just don't explain properly. Here goes:

1. From your PCs Ethernet Connection window, note the Connection Details - usually IPv4. These will be the settings to connect to your Main Router that you normally use to access the Internet.
You will use these same IP settings on the Nexx to enable it to also connect to the router and connect to the Internet.
On my system my main PC was connected to my usual Network while my Nexx was was seen as another Wifi device.
I found it easier to use my phone or tablet pc to connect to the Nexx router configuration menus: my tablet automatically connected to my Home router so I had to select the Nexx instead to access its menus.
2 Once connected to the Nexx enter http://192.168.8.1 into your browser window to see the menus. Remember that every time you change the configuration it will disconnect and you might have to select it again as your Wifi source.
3. I used the Home and Dorm menu to enter the IP addresses previously noted. Make sure the Security settings are DISABLED. I don't know why but it works like that.
4. Then In the Wifi Repeater menu find your normal Home Router in the list and connect to it. The little Nexx box is now connected to your Wifi Router to access the internet but is still seen as a separate router and repeater.
5. Connect an ethernet cable from the Nexx to the Freeview box or TV ethernet connector and it now thinks it is connect to a Wired system instead of Wifi.
I could watch Youtube or Iplayer for example via my Freeview box without stutter and do updates over the Internet. Using Youview I can now access all the Internet content

Ralston18

Titan
Not at all uncommon.

End user installation instructions are all too frequently out of step with the what and why of the installation process.

Any number of reasons: Over-simplified to mask product weaknesses, cut and paste rewrites using older procedures, software/screen changes that are not added into the installation process, little or no QA with regards to consistency, etc..

However, with respect to the situation at hand this caught my eye: In #3 "Make sure the Security settings are DISABLED."

Unless you enabled security again at some point afterwards, your network and devices may be open and vulnerable to hacking and breaching.

Take a closer look at the details and settings. Get the security settings enabled or at least confirm to yourself that you are otherwise protected without those particular settings.

Solution

keveen

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014

Yes it is probably a Chinese trick to get access to our data. Strange how it doesn't work with security enabled! The disabled security is required on the mini router itself, not on my main router or wifi.