irshad_it

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I'm working as an IT administrator, I'm not so experienced in the relevant field, it's just one week I have got into the job, We are using wireless network in our company, we have been supported by VPN from outside the Country, I have a problem that one of the lap tops in our network can't access internet, it shows wireless is not connected, after that I just plugged in directly with the network cable.. but still it doesn't show in LAN as connected, the drivers are installed properly,

Desperately looking for the solution... Please help me

irshad_it

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Thanks for the reply, but here is noone in my office to help me out on this problem, can you please tell me any short path to fix the proble?? :(

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Ok you need to do some basic troubleshooting to identify the problem.

First, forget about wireless . test the following with an ethernet cable.

Does the laptop get an IP address?
Are you able to ping the default gateway?
Can you ping the local server?
Is the laptop able to log into the domain?

Post back with results

urfriendlyvirus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
This may be the simplest solution to networking problems, but I had a similar issue to this. All I did was update the networking drivers. It can't hurt to try it.

Hope this gets fixed soon.

-UFV

irshad_it

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
IP address is set as 'Get IP address Automatically' , and I can ping to both default gateway and local Server, and also laptop is able to log into domain.. When I plugged in the cable, there is no response in the Local Area Connection, but it shows connected as in 'Thinkvantage'...

d85kennedy

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Ok, so everything is working on the LAN. This would confirm that all the hardware, drivers and IP address is ok.

If the laptop is still not able to access the internet you need to check the DNS server on the laptop and the laptop firewall.

Next check the company firewall as something is stopping it getting to the internet.

urfriendlyvirus

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
If you don't use ThinkVantage software, can you connect with the provided wireless connectivity software? Is it safe to assume this is a Windows based operating system?

Try that and see if there is any change. If so, then we know it is the ThinkVantage Software and we can go from there.

-UFV