Question Internet Problems "Default gateway is not available"

Apr 25, 2019
I am having a lot of issues with internet connectivity ever since I have disconnected the ethernet from my router because that option is no longer available. I have had this problem for a very very long time (I believe ever since I put in new cpu, motherboard, ram and psu). The same thing happens every time, I will have very fast internet for as long as 5 hours or as little as 5 minutes and then I will get the caution sign and troubleshoot it only to get the problem fixed by my computer resetting the wifi adaptor with the message "The default gateway is not available". This will cause my internet to work for some time before the cycle repeats again.

I have tried numerous things:
-multiple network adaptors (Two different wifi extenders, a usb wifi adaptor, currently using a PCIE wifi card with 3 antennae)
-using google DNS servers
-reinstalling and updating network adaptor drivers using device manager
-countless google searches

PC SPECS:
Ryzen 1600
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 770
16gb ddr 2000hz ram
600W PSU Bronze certified
1TB WD HD

Current WIFI PCI card is an intel(R) wifi link 5300 AGN

My internet is flawless up until it stalls and I have to troubleshoot to temporarily fix it.
Thank you in advance to any replies.

With ethernet, this is relatively easy to troubleshoot. WIFI adds a set of complications.

First thing I wanna know is, who else is in the house and what are they' doing? Because there is never enough bandwidth for everybody, you are sharing stuff with the rest of the household. How much bandwidth are u paying vs how many users?

Then I wanna know WIFI signal strength and noise, always getting full bars? Anybody in the house having the same problem besides you (in WIFI). What do you do exactly to restore operation when this happens? Can u ping other devices in the house?

Apr 25, 2019
With ethernet, this is relatively easy to troubleshoot. WIFI adds a set of complications.

First thing I wanna know is, who else is in the house and what are they' doing? Because there is never enough bandwidth for everybody, you are sharing stuff with the rest of the household. How much bandwidth are u paying vs how many users?

Then I wanna know WIFI signal strength and noise, always getting full bars? Anybody in the house having the same problem besides you (in WIFI). What do you do exactly to restore operation when this happens? Can u ping other devices in the house?
we pay for 100MBS shared between 5 members, 3 of us game and occasionally stream an hd video, the other 3 use very minimal amount of internet, when my internet is working it clocks in at around 13mbs down and 11 up consistently. the other two people who game in the house use wifi and have no problems. When this problem occurs I right click my wifi symbol and click troubleshoot which will temporarily fix the problem (anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours) and I do not know how to ping other devices.

Apr 25, 2019
How is it that ethernet to the router is no longer available to you?

I would think that, as long as you have an ethernet adapter on your computer, and an ethernet port on the router, this would be the preferred method of connecting.
It would most definitely be optimal but as I said its not an option do to external reasons.

Not being able to test with ethernet leaves you at risk of wasting your time chasing the wrong problem.

Since problems like this are extremely common with wifi it could just be that wifi will not work where your computer is located. Could be too much interference from a signal from outside your house or too many walls in between absorbing the signal.

You have few options. You could I suppose blindly buy a new nic card and hope you have a defective one if you really think this is the only machine that has issues.

It would most definitely be optimal but as I said its not an option do to external reasons.
Oblique at best, but OK.

Are you the family member who is farthest from the wireless router?

Do you have large metal objects between you and the wireless router (AC unit, furnace, refrigerator, oven....you get the idea)?

Are there many IoT devices that attach to the wireless router?

What is the size of the DHCP pool allocated to wireless clients?

How many total wireless clients are present in the household that can attach to the wireless router?

Do you have a security / video system which uses a wireless pathway to other devices?

When you get a WiFi DHCP lease, what is the duration of the lease?

If somebody other than you administers the router / gateway, have you discussed this situation with them, and reviewed the router configuration?

Apr 7, 2019
I am having a lot of issues with internet connectivity ever since I have disconnected the ethernet from my router because that option is no longer available. I have had this problem for a very very long time (I believe ever since I put in new cpu, motherboard, ram and psu). The same thing happens every time, I will have very fast internet for as long as 5 hours or as little as 5 minutes and then I will get the caution sign and troubleshoot it only to get the problem fixed by my computer resetting the wifi adaptor with the message "The default gateway is not available". This will cause my internet to work for some time before the cycle repeats again.

I have tried numerous things:
-multiple network adaptors (Two different wifi extenders, a usb wifi adaptor, currently using a PCIE wifi card with 3 antennae)
-using google DNS servers
-reinstalling and updating network adaptor drivers using device manager
-countless google searches

PC SPECS:
Ryzen 1600
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Motherboard
Nvidia GTX 770
16gb ddr 2000hz ram
600W PSU Bronze certified
1TB WD HD

Current WIFI PCI card is an intel(R) wifi link 5300 AGN

My internet is flawless up until it stalls and I have to troubleshoot to temporarily fix it.
Thank you in advance to any replies.

Next best thing to Ethernet if WIFI is wacky(i put it over WIFI)... =
View: https://youtu.be/6kDeM-yUEVY
=
- TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Kit - Banish Your WiFi Blues At Last! [Review] - ............ is the 2nd one i'm buying, setting the old up for daughter and her PS4.
COST: 80 - 100.00$ (ON AMAZON)

Getting 13mbs while paying 100mbs (assuming ur getting your bits and bytes straight) automatically signals this is not a good WIFI link. Ur probably getting marginal signal from the router. Move yourself closer to the router, or more router closer to you would be the first thing.