Internet proxy & homepage settings not applying

Greetings

Im having problems with the internet proxy & homepage settings not applying.

There is a main internet settings policy which sits under the default domain
policy and those settings are duplicated inside the students security policy
& staff security policy (dont ask why, its the way my predecessor set it up).

Now, the settings are applying properly for any staff that logon, the
winning policy in that situation is the main internet setting policy, however
when a student logs on, neither the internet policy or the settings in the
student security policy apply.

The problem is everything was working perfectly before i reimaged the
clients on the network with an xpsp2 image. I have tried copying the .adm
templates from an SP2 client into the inf folder and updating the gpo to no
avail.

I have tried to make the internet settings policy enforced, i have tried
deleting and recreating the policy, no effect.

Any help will be appreciated, I have 1300 kids screeaming they cant use the
net. Good start for a new term wouldnt you say..

Thanks
James

Hi James,

Have you used RSoP or gpresult to look for any hints?

br,
Denis

"james.johnson" <james.johnson@cantell.southampton.sch.u k> wrote in message
> Greetings
>
> Im having problems with the internet proxy & homepage settings not
applying.

> There is a main internet settings policy which sits under the default
domain
> policy and those settings are duplicated inside the students security
policy
> & staff security policy (dont ask why, its the way my predecessor set it
up).

> Now, the settings are applying properly for any staff that logon, the
> winning policy in that situation is the main internet setting policy,
however
> when a student logs on, neither the internet policy or the settings in the
> student security policy apply.
>
> The problem is everything was working perfectly before i reimaged the
> clients on the network with an xpsp2 image. I have tried copying the .adm
> templates from an SP2 client into the inf folder and updating the gpo to
no
> avail.
>
> I have tried to make the internet settings policy enforced, i have tried
> deleting and recreating the policy, no effect.
>
> Any help will be appreciated, I have 1300 kids screeaming they cant use
the
> net. Good start for a new term wouldnt you say..
>
> Thanks
> James

Hi Denis.

Ive tried both... Gpresult doesnt show it at all. I tried rsop.msc, it
complains about .adm files missing as it cant access them because of a bad
username & password. However, i think thats because im running the rsop.msc
under a restricted account using the "run as" and local admin. WHen i click
the internet settings nothing is set.

Ive tried putting the internet policy at the top of the tree, just under the
default domain policy, still nothing. There is no policy blocking to stop it
either.

Wierd.
James

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Have you used RSoP or gpresult to look for any hints?
>
> br,
> Denis
>
> "james.johnson" <james.johnson@cantell.southampton.sch.u k> wrote in message
> > Greetings
> >
> > Im having problems with the internet proxy & homepage settings not
> applying.
> >
> > There is a main internet settings policy which sits under the default
> domain
> > policy and those settings are duplicated inside the students security
> policy
> > & staff security policy (dont ask why, its the way my predecessor set it
> up).
> >
> > Now, the settings are applying properly for any staff that logon, the
> > winning policy in that situation is the main internet setting policy,
> however
> > when a student logs on, neither the internet policy or the settings in the
> > student security policy apply.
> >
> > The problem is everything was working perfectly before i reimaged the
> > clients on the network with an xpsp2 image. I have tried copying the .adm
> > templates from an SP2 client into the inf folder and updating the gpo to
> no
> > avail.
> >
> > I have tried to make the internet settings policy enforced, i have tried
> > deleting and recreating the policy, no effect.
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated, I have 1300 kids screeaming they cant use
> the
> > net. Good start for a new term wouldnt you say..
> >
> > Thanks
> > James

Hi James,

If gpresult doesn't show it at all, then it just doesn't apply.

Is that a permission issue?

> Hi Denis.
>
> Ive tried both... Gpresult doesnt show it at all. I tried rsop.msc, it
> complains about .adm files missing as it cant access them because of a bad
> username & password. However, i think thats because im running the
rsop.msc
> under a restricted account using the "run as" and local admin. WHen i
click
> the internet settings nothing is set.
>
> Ive tried putting the internet policy at the top of the tree, just under
the
> default domain policy, still nothing. There is no policy blocking to stop
it
> either.
>
> Wierd.
> James
>
> "Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" wrote:
>
> > Hi James,
> >
> > Have you used RSoP or gpresult to look for any hints?
> >
> > br,
> > Denis
> >
> > "james.johnson" <james.johnson@cantell.southampton.sch.u k> wrote in
message
> > > Greetings
> > >
> > > Im having problems with the internet proxy & homepage settings not
> > applying.
> > >
> > > There is a main internet settings policy which sits under the default
> > domain
> > > policy and those settings are duplicated inside the students security
> > policy
> > > & staff security policy (dont ask why, its the way my predecessor set
it
> > up).
> > >
> > > Now, the settings are applying properly for any staff that logon, the
> > > winning policy in that situation is the main internet setting policy,
> > however
> > > when a student logs on, neither the internet policy or the settings in
the
> > > student security policy apply.
> > >
> > > The problem is everything was working perfectly before i reimaged the
> > > clients on the network with an xpsp2 image. I have tried copying the
..adm
> > > templates from an SP2 client into the inf folder and updating the gpo
> > no
> > > avail.
> > >
> > > I have tried to make the internet settings policy enforced, i have
tried
> > > deleting and recreating the policy, no effect.
> > >
> > > Any help will be appreciated, I have 1300 kids screeaming they cant
use
> > the
> > > net. Good start for a new term wouldnt you say..
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > James

I did check to make sure and all seems fine with permissions. The strangest
thing is those proxy settings are also set in another policy (student
security policy). This is a policy which does apply, it just seems to avoid
the part of the policy which sets proxy & homepage. I have tried using the
proxy settings per machine setting and it still doesnt work.

James