[SOLVED] Internet randomly connecting and disconnecting ?

Wolfe_3310

Reputable
May 12, 2017
Was playing destiny 2 when my I lost connection to their servers, then I realized my computer was having issues connecting to the internet it was dropping in and out. I ran an internet speed test and it was fine but in task manager its dropping all over the place and won't have a stable connection. I ran ping test through CMD and no errors there, I'm wondering if my ethernet port is going bad or maybe my router/modem.

I am not using WiFi, I'm hard wired straight to the modem ?

vy1DdrR.jpg

Just used a USB ethernet port and the problem is still continuing.

Solution
How long did you let the ping command run.

What did you ping. Try 8.8.8.8 and then maybe one of the game servers if they will respond to ping.

I find the graphs not real useful. I am not sure how the values/averages are being calculated. Open the resource monitor and choose the network tab the graphs on there seem to update more but they still can look strange at times.

What you want to do is find something that will download at a very consistent rate. Steam if it is in a good mood will run your connection at maximum for a extended period of time. You want to choose a free to play game that is very large download. You could also set the rate to some lower value and see what that looks like. When you run this you...

What did you ping. Try 8.8.8.8 and then maybe one of the game servers if they will respond to ping.

I find the graphs not real useful. I am not sure how the values/averages are being calculated. Open the resource monitor and choose the network tab the graphs on there seem to update more but they still can look strange at times.

What you want to do is find something that will download at a very consistent rate. Steam if it is in a good mood will run your connection at maximum for a extended period of time. You want to choose a free to play game that is very large download. You could also set the rate to some lower value and see what that looks like. When you run this you should see much more smooth graphs.

Your problem is you need to find a way to see the problem. Ping is your best test for data loss but even speedtest should show it. The speedtest graph on most connections is fairly smooth and does not show lower values mid way. Real bad packet loss you can see speedtest actually stall for a second or two.

Solution

Wolfe_3310

Reputable
May 12, 2017

What you want to do is find something that will download at a very consistent rate. Steam if it is in a good mood will run your connection at maximum for a extended period of time. You want to choose a free to play game that is very large download. You could also set the rate to some lower value and see what that looks like. When you run this you should see much more smooth graphs.

Your problem is you need to find a way to see the problem. Ping is your best test for data loss but even speedtest should show it. The speedtest graph on most connections is fairly smooth and does not show lower values mid way. Real bad packet loss you can see speedtest actually stall for a second or two.

I did ping 8.8.8.8 and my own IP address for the standard time that the command does the ping and both of them came back with no errors. I started a steam download and its downloading at max with no drops and the resourse monitor looks good as well. I think I might as gotten a weird ISP drop last night, maybe a update rollout but when that happens my modem restarts...

uADA42X.jpg
QYGb2Zc.png

You want to leave the ping run for a few minutes not just the default 5 or whatever it does. You might be getting very random outages so you need to test for longer. It tends to be best to let it run constantly in a background cmd window while you play your game. You can then quickly switch over when the game has issues and see if the ping also show problems.

It seems like all the tools say you do not have a network problem and it is only the game that has issues. Before you go randomly try to change setting in the game you need to verify that none of the tools are showing errors.

Wolfe_3310

Reputable
May 12, 2017
You want to leave the ping run for a few minutes not just the default 5 or whatever it does. You might be getting very random outages so you need to test for longer. It tends to be best to let it run constantly in a background cmd window while you play your game. You can then quickly switch over when the game has issues and see if the ping also show problems.

It seems like all the tools say you do not have a network problem and it is only the game that has issues. Before you go randomly try to change setting in the game you need to verify that none of the tools are showing errors.

Okay I'll go ahead and run the ping test today while I play but as of yesterday night around 12am the same problem occurred and as I was looking at message timestamps it was almost the exact same time the problem first occurred. Not sure if its coincidence because my internet was fine all day beside that time of night. Gonna try the test at that time as well and see what happens.