Question Internet randomly disconnects then reconnects

zhiffy

Commendable
Mar 17, 2018
Hello!
I've been having some internet problems for months now and I don't know what the problem is. We replaced our modem and ONT and it still didn't fix it. Our internet was also upgraded to 500/500 mbps and that still did not solve the problem. For the past couple of months, the internet would randomly restart near midnight multiple times. It would be down for around 1 minute and it will be on again. It repeats this process around 2-3 more times in a span of 15 minutes. Then, it goes back to working like normal. This past week, it stopped restarting and I thought it was fixed but it happened again in the afternoon. The same thing passed today around noon and I believe it might be programmed to restart.

ONT and modem are connected downstairs while there is one moca ethernet adapter connected to my computer upstairs. There are around 5-6 devices on during the day and 1-2 during the time of the usual restarts at night.

Here are pictures of the logs and modem/ONT: View: https://imgur.com/a/JsxZXKD

Hope this helps and I have more information to give if needed!

zhiffy

Commendable
Mar 17, 2018
Have you discussed this with your ISP?

Yes I have. We've done multiple calls with them "hard reseting" it from their end and having them come to our place 3 times to replace our modem and ONT. I also asked if it's possible for my internet to randomly disconnect and they said that was not possible at all.

cyrill5

Prominent
Feb 28, 2021
this is really valid problem and complain.. first of all sorry you shouldn't change anything unless there is a good valid reason to do it. like ask a lot about little thing . (about what) about the osi model.. first layer physical layer> is your cables and rj jack is in prestige condition no deterioration.. data link layer. is the network adapter of each devise is functioning will or nor short or electronically are they fit
the network layer.. is your router good i mean there are test like the ping 127.0.0.1 loop test to know if the ping comes around. the transport layer- is the data going to the right port of the service. is there no data collision . last the presentation layer.. is the pc software in good condition like all the software are updated? is the firewall blocking something like that.. I'm sorry im also in continues learning you can disregard this if you feel you didn't need it. just my opinion

zhiffy

Commendable
Mar 17, 2018
How predictable is this issue? Same time every night, when it happens?

The issue is not predictable at all. It happens around 9-12 PM at night most of the time but sometimes it can happen in the afternoon. It just restarted again 2 times just 20 minutes ago.
this is really valid problem and complain.. first of all sorry you shouldn't change anything unless there is a good valid reason to do it. like ask a lot about little thing . (about what) about the osi model.. first layer physical layer> is your cables and rj jack is in prestige condition no deterioration.. data link layer. is the network adapter of each devise is functioning will or nor short or electronically are they fit
the network layer.. is your router good i mean there are test like the ping 127.0.0.1 loop test to know if the ping comes around. the transport layer- is the data going to the right port of the service. is there no data collision . last the presentation layer.. is the pc software in good condition like all the software are updated? is the firewall blocking something like that.. I'm sorry im also in continues learning you can disregard this if you feel you didn't need it. just my opinion

My cables and all of the devices are functioning properly. I did the ping loop test and I believe it worked out well with 4 packets sent, 4 packets received, and 0 lost. I am not sure about the software or firewall. Is there any way you can help me with finding out how to update my modem or other devices? My firewall level is set to low so could that be a problem?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
From what is presented here, the issue seems to be the connection coming to your home. For that, only the ISP can resolve the matter.

Your devices (modem, router, etc) should all have the means to update themselves. Just log into the device and locate the section to do so.

zhiffy

Commendable
Mar 17, 2018
I've called multiple times telling them the issue of how the internet randomly restarts and they either hard reset my devices or send someone over to replace them. Is there anything specific that I should tell them because I don't want them to do the same thing again even though it won't fix it.