[SOLVED] Internet really slow despite ethernet cable and fastest internet possible

Sep 16, 2019
I moved into an apartment where the owner pays for the internet. The internet is really slow for gaming, despite him allegedly having the best internet Bell Canada has to offer (my old place had it and it was lightning fast).

The owner told me the reason it's so slow is because the building's structure is concrete and the signals cant get through. Is that possible? I thought internet originated from the router. Would thick structural walls prevent good speeds within the router? If so, is there anything you can do to compensate for a thick concrete structure? Or am I being deceived?

Thank you.

Solution
Most supplied modems are also wireless routers.
So the wireless comes from the modem..
The more walls you have between your device and the modem/router the more the signal is blocked.
Concrete walls are thicker and denser(also containing a grid of steel rebar) that disrupts/blocks/bounces wireless signals more than wood/sheetrock walls.

Powerline adaptors use the house wiring to transfer the signal to other rooms where you can connect by ethernet or wireless to the adaptor in that room.
One unit is plugged into the modem and outlet in the room with the modem/router.
Other units are placed in rooms with little or no signal from main router.
You then connect wired or wireless to the unit in that room.
Sep 16, 2019
If you are connecting wireless, yes concrete walls make a large loss in reception.

Talk with him about power line adapters or least costly (lots more work though) pulling Cat5e cable to a far room for an access point.
Coming back to this, I want to better understand the issue if I may ask you more about it.
So the WIFI in the house seems to be okay but using my ethernet cable plugged directly into the receiver is slow as hell. Perhaps I need to plug it into the router instead of the TV receiver. I'm going to try that tonight but if the concrete walls around the apartment are the problem, wouldn't the problem persist? Like, is wifi generated from the router? Or is the router connecting to signals outside the apartment? If the latter, how will power line adapters solve the problem if the exterior walls are the problem?

Thank you.

The more walls you have between your device and the modem/router the more the signal is blocked.
Concrete walls are thicker and denser(also containing a grid of steel rebar) that disrupts/blocks/bounces wireless signals more than wood/sheetrock walls.

Powerline adaptors use the house wiring to transfer the signal to other rooms where you can connect by ethernet or wireless to the adaptor in that room.
One unit is plugged into the modem and outlet in the room with the modem/router.

Solution
Sep 16, 2019

I see... I have a 50 ft ethernet cable so I'm plugged directly into the router... i guess I'm screwed as far as online gaming goes. Powerline adapters sound like very cool technology though. Thank you for the reply.