internet router and cords?

swiiftaj

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018
okay so there is a lot of people in my house all on internet at same time, 2 people playing pc games and streaming via twitch at same time, so i want to call my internet provider and upgrade to a higher plan to get faster internet. any tips on that ?? and main question is also, is there a diffrence in the router spectrum provied and regular internet cords compared to if i was to buy an expensive router and diffrent internet cords? i only care about the wired connections , dont care about the wifi. thanks everyone for the help

Solution
What is your current and desired upgraded internet connection bandwidth?

Understand this:
  • 1st - ISP is giving you bandwidth #1;
    2nd - your local network devices (router, swithes) can pass bandwidth #2;
    3rd - your cables can pass bandwidth #3;
    4th - your end devices (pc-s, laptops, smartphones, etc.) - can receive bandwidth #4
Each of your end devices receive minimum of those 4 values. Plus all devices together can not exceed value #1 (total bandwidth provided by ISP).

Cables are the last thing you have to worry about (least important). It's highly unlikely you have anything more ancient than cat5 cables.

swiiftaj

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018

yeah i have no idea theres so much im learning/need to learn. any ideas on what to say when i call and discuss that with them?

What is your current and desired upgraded internet connection bandwidth?

Understand this:
  • 1st - ISP is giving you bandwidth #1;
    2nd - your local network devices (router, swithes) can pass bandwidth #2;
    3rd - your cables can pass bandwidth #3;
    4th - your end devices (pc-s, laptops, smartphones, etc.) - can receive bandwidth #4
Each of your end devices receive minimum of those 4 values. Plus all devices together can not exceed value #1 (total bandwidth provided by ISP).

Cables are the last thing you have to worry about (least important). It's highly unlikely you have anything more ancient than cat5 cables.

Solution

swiiftaj

Prominent
Nov 26, 2018

okay so, was at 100mbps , for 20$ more igot 400 mbps so i should be goood now right? also she said its cat5 cords. thank you so much for your help