Question Internet seems to lag when I turn my PC on

saltlife97

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
So, last week we had a power outage. My PC has been through multiple outages and I have a surge protector. Since this outage, our internet seems to be crippled lately.. Well my brother doesn't seem to have lag when my computer is turned off. Could my PC be lagging out our internet? The main game we play is rust and whenever we get disconnected, we get a "packet flooding" error message. I've run multiple scans for malware since the outage and all come up clean. We do have a tech coming out tomorrow to check out our modem. Also, it happens sporadically. We could be fine for 2 hours then we start lagging every 5-10 minutes. Could something have gotten fried that would be causing this? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Tech is coming, so have them take a look at error counters. In TCP/IP, when a receiving computer don't get a packet or the data is corrupted, it asks the sender to repeat the message. If you have a lot of corrupted packets due to interference (water in a phone line or ??) then you get a high error count. The repeated requests to resend the data can be identified as packet flooding by some systems (depends on setup, etc).

You never said what caused the power outage ... if it was stormy weather it could definitely cause this because much of the infrastructure between you and your ISP is exposed to the weather. It could also be some equipment in your house if there was a power surge associated with he outage, but this is less common.

Is the suspected PC hooked up via ethernet? sounds like the ole NIC beaconing thing, and certainly packets flooding suggests that. When this happens, make sure suspect PC is idling, then look at the switch port it's connected to and if LED blinking furiously even when it's idling, u may have a faulty ethernet port.

Making a house call for this is premature, wanna bet whether the problem surfaces when the tech gets there? He's time constrained, he's going to run a series of tests on his modem and that's all he's going to do, he's not responsible what your PC is doing, only that Internet is delivered to you. Hope ur lucky and the problem surfaces when he's there.

saltlife97

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
Update: Tech came out and said the lines were old. Pretty sure every time I've ever called a tech thats what they tell me, haven't had that one at my current house though. Guess we will see if it fixes the issue.