Internet settings help please

Wendi Wood

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
A few months ago right after having internet set up in my new house I was noticing every internet page had to be reloaded 4-5 times before it would load, otherwise I would keep getting "webpage not available". I assumed it was the wireless usb adapter I had just got so I bought cable and hardwired my computer and it's worked fine since then. Yesterday it started doing it again, and it's still hard wired. It's not my internet, it works fine on all the cell phones and tablets in the house, as well as working perfectly on my laptop. I can test the internet speed on the computer and it comes up just like normal, anywhere between 8-10. But yet every single page cannot be displayed over and over and then suddenly it will load. There is obviously a setting somewhere that is wrong but I dont really understand what all the internet settings do. I only use chrome as a browser. I should also mention that I just reformatted and reinstalled windows so Chrome was just installed again last week. When I first had this problem I was using Windows 7, then after fixing it I upgraded to Windows 10. As of last week I'm back at Windows 7 if it matters. Can anyone tell me what my chrome settings should be, or what could cause this problem? It's incredibly frustrating. I use century link internet too if it matters. Thank you

Solution
You can disable IPv6, or disable LAN or WLAN to see if one if affecting the other. If it gets really annoying you could try running the "repair" option on your Windows installation disk or as a last resort do a complete re-installation of Windows.

BrandX

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Okay, so:

Internet connection is definitely okay - other devices connect normally.
Wireless connection does not work properly.
Wired connection worked temporarily, but is now failing.

The first thing I would do is try a different browser. Can you connect with Internet Explorer?

Wendi Wood

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
No internet explorer is doing the same thing. The little icon in the bottom right corner shows a yellow triangle with an explanation point in it now too. Where is shows my connectivity status. It brought up something to diagnose the problem but said it couldn't fix it.

Wendi Wood

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
I unplugged Internet from the computer for a few min and then it connected just find but the problem persists. Nothing at all will open in Internet explorer, I also reset chrome settings, cleared browsing data and cookies, and tried incognito mode. All with no results.

BrandX

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
What firewall program are you running? A corrupt firewall can cause your connection to be blocked.

If it's Windows Firewall, go to Control Panel and reset it to "Default".
If it's a third-party firewall, uninstall it, restart your PC, and try connecting just using Windows firewall.

Next, try resetting your TCP/IP.
Click Start> type in CMD or find it in accessories, and right-click on CMD: Select "Run As Administrator" and then type or copy & paste these lines one by one:

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Wendi Wood

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

Wendi Wood

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
Yes I am only using Windows firewall. I reset it to default as suggested, then I did the resets in cmd and the last one said
"There's no user specified settings to be reset"
I restarted my computer and opened up chrome and it couldn't connect. There was also the yellow triangle with the exclamation in the system tray on the bottom right showing Internet connectivity problems. But after about 2 min it fixed itself and yahoo opened. I then reloaded the page and it's not opening again.

Wendi Wood

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
Oddly enough I just plugged in the wireless USB adapter and about 15 pages have opened with no problem. Maybe my Ethernet cable is somehow bad? It's only a couple months old but it's possible I suppose.

BrandX

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013

It's possible the cable is damaged but I don't think that's it, not if you couldn't get a connection with wireless either.
Well, if it's working it's working. If it goes bad again, there are a couple more things to try.

BrandX

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
You can disable IPv6, or disable LAN or WLAN to see if one if affecting the other. If it gets really annoying you could try running the "repair" option on your Windows installation disk or as a last resort do a complete re-installation of Windows.

Solution

Wendi Wood

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014

Okay thanks. If/when it starts up again I will try those things. I appreciate the help.