Internet settings - QoS

Max_34

Reputable
May 9, 2016
When someone is connecting to WiFi my online games become laggy.

How can i limit the bandwidth for WiFi Users?

I heard about QoS, but i don't know how to do it. See the photos:

https://postimg.org/image/4ja95qwsd/

https://postimg.org/image/dfl19onel/

Thank you.

Solution

Step1 buy a different router
Step 2 Pay someone to configure the router for you.

Your router does not have the features you need, primarily the ability to place limitation on download traffic.

If you actually have issue on the wireless it is not something QoS can really fix because it is seldom bandwidth bottleneck on wireless. The problems are mostly related to wireless being half duplex.

The main issue is you are likely exceeding your download bandwidth and the ISP Is dropping packets. Its not like the ISP is going to care if you prefer game traffic over netflix traffic and they will drop traffic randomly. So really nothing you can configure in your...

Ralston18

Titan
First here is a starter "tutorial" about QoS:

http://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

[Edit: Corrected link]

After that, a lot depends on your router and what specific QoS controls and settings are available. Most home routers are quite limited.

Your user manual should provide some guidence with respect to what level(s) of QoS you can truly implement and affect.

For basic QOS, set your upstream/upload to 90%/95% of the speed your ISP allocates, to ensure maximum downstream/download speeds.

After that you fine tune QOS by allocating priority/bandwidth by connection, eg HTTP/HTTPS, VOD, Bitorrent or port and finally MAC/I.P address.

QoS, Quality of Service, how how one service receives more precedent of the bandwidth over another.
Getting your Wifi Router's Manual out (usually a PDF file on the maker's website) explains under the QoS section how to make the changes, BUT.. that doesn't stop the human problem.

When you mess with QoS your adversely affecting the other users, and telling those people your Gaming is more important than say Mom catching up on Son's of Anarchy off Netflix, or Dad being able to get his Football pool scores in, or your Sister from sneaking True Blood on her Tablet at night.

You need to sit down with the other members of the family / friends / whatever lives there and discuss the issue, how you plan to fix it and how it MAY affect them (yeah your gaming okay but they...they.. they...ssstttuddderring or can't access webpages may happen as well). It is a 'tweaking process' so you will be making the changes a little over time.

Another factor that you may want to consider, if you just went with the 'cheapest service' you may need to just buy into the next plan up, so there is 'more' bandwidth. A common 4 person home with say 2 electronics per person ( 1 phone 1 computer) can easily overwhelm a 12Mbps DSL connection, and would best be served by a 25Mbps Cable (TV) connection or higher. If you want prime gaming speed then your more looking at the 75Mbps to 100Mbps plans if you have alot of people 'streaming' music and videos 'all the time'.

Max_34

Reputable
May 9, 2016

they don't really use it.
My mother and father don't use internet very much, old times, you know.
My brother is using it just a little, its enough like half of the speed.

i need to do something like 50:50 or 70:30 with my brother.
So the computer takes more bandwidth and the wifi gets less.[he is the only one using the wifi] - he agreed

Step1 buy a different router
Step 2 Pay someone to configure the router for you.

Your router does not have the features you need, primarily the ability to place limitation on download traffic.

If you actually have issue on the wireless it is not something QoS can really fix because it is seldom bandwidth bottleneck on wireless. The problems are mostly related to wireless being half duplex.

The main issue is you are likely exceeding your download bandwidth and the ISP Is dropping packets. Its not like the ISP is going to care if you prefer game traffic over netflix traffic and they will drop traffic randomly. So really nothing you can configure in your house will magically recreate data the isp discarded. It takes a very complex configuration to attempt to avoid the problem rather than actually prioritize data.

QoS is one of the most advanced topics there is in networking. It is not something you are just going to click a few boxes and it works. You would have to get very lucky and in most cases people only think it is working because they do not have enough understanding to test to see if it really is.

This is like asking how do I fly a airplane please give me step by step instructions because I know nothing..

Solution

Well first off, I would make sure your computer itself is 'as expected'.
That would mean you do all the normal maintenance stuff to it (it is NOT like a console where you just turn it on and use it, it is more like a Car and need to do things all the time to make sure it is kept 'working like I expect it').

Frst make sure your on the current Windows supported version, which is Windows 10. Download SPECCY and copy and paste the first tab of information so we know what we are dealing with here.
- Your Response?
Second make sure to run all UPDATES for W10 and have them installed
- Your Response?
Third use a tool like SlimDrivers to make sure you have in ALL the needed drivers, there are MANY not included with "I downloaded my Video drivers" answers many people think resolves this.
- Your Response?
Fourth use and do a full scan with a good Antivirus, like AVG, AVAST, AVIRA, Panda, etc.
- Your Response?
Fifth manually run a FULL scan with Malwarebytes (both Antivirus and Malware bytes downloadable via www.filehippo.com with the latest versions listed).
- Your Response?

Now your saying you want to limit only WIFI, so I take it your using a wired connection to the Router?
- Your Response?
Do some speed tests and see from your computer through the router is; use speedtest.net, provide results
- Your Response?
Now open the CMD prompt, type in the window PING tomshardware.com then do a TRACERT tomshardware.com. Copy and paste results
- Your Response?
Now log into the router following the INSTRUCTION MANUAL, and under Tools or Advanced you should see how the router can 'test' the connection itself (usually a PING and a Traceroute). Try to Ping and then Traceroute to tomshardware.com. Again copy paste results
- Your Response?