Jul 11, 2019
Okay, so recently I built a new gaming PC and the motherboard doesnt have a wireless adapter which is fine as I was going to connect through ethernet cable. Turns out my dad doesn't know much about the internet and refuses to let me plug an ethernet chord into the router as he thinks he will get hacked. So I said okay and started using the wifi sharing from my laptop. It's worked great for the whole week I have used it until today. For some reason it's just pooped out on me. If I do an internet speed test through my laptop (device I am sharing the wifi from) the ping says 12ms , download says 120 mbps and the upload says 40 mbps which is good, os what I've always gotten. But on my PC that I am sharing too it's a different story as of today. It says the ping is 12ms, download is 0.4mbps and the upload is 40mbps. So the ping and the upload are good but why is the download so low? Anything I can do? I have reset and hard restarted the rounter. Even checked the ethernet cable I am using and nothing has changed. Any suggestions?

ICS is a huge pain at times. It actually was designed to share dialup modem connections and has not been enhanced much at all other that supporting new devices.

Maybe try to talk your dad into ethernet again. It is impossible to hack ethernet. Someone would have to be inside your house and somehow tap into the cable and even then it would be difficult. It is hugely more secure than wifi. All someone does is get your password and they have access. Most routers also have a feature called WPS enabled by defualt. This is a massive security exposure and I bet it is turned on in your router if nobody knew to turn it off.

It is unlikely it is the cable or the port in the game machine. If you could test to the router you would know. I would change all the ics setting on the laptop ethernet back to default and then reset them and see if it makes a difference. Most times for me I would just reboot the device.

Otherwise buy a inexpensive USB wifi card. Using your laptop as a wifi card is not a preferred solution.

Jul 11, 2019
ICS is a huge pain at times. It actually was designed to share dialup modem connections and has not been enhanced much at all other that supporting new devices.

Maybe try to talk your dad into ethernet again. It is impossible to hack ethernet. Someone would have to be inside your house and somehow tap into the cable and even then it would be difficult. It is hugely more secure than wifi. All someone does is get your password and they have access. Most routers also have a feature called WPS enabled by defualt. This is a massive security exposure and I bet it is turned on in your router if nobody knew to turn it off.

It is unlikely it is the cable or the port in the game machine. If you could test to the router you would know. I would change all the ics setting on the laptop ethernet back to default and then reset them and see if it makes a difference. Most times for me I would just reboot the device.

Otherwise buy a inexpensive USB wifi card. Using your laptop as a wifi card is not a preferred solution.
I will try to convince him for the ethernet cable, if I cant I'll just get a wifi adapter as to not have to worry about this anymore, thank you for the response!