internet sharing via WiFi

I have a desktop running win 2000 which is connected on a LAN to provide
cable internet, I have added a wifi usb adaptor to enable the connection.
My laptop running XP pro can connect to win 2000 via wifi & file sharing &
networking is working fine, but as I share my lan internet connection it
hangs & corrupts the network adaptor of win 2000 for some strange reason.

Can I share internet this way or not?
Ranjan

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi.

You are much better off using Wireless Cable/DSL Router rather then Ad-Hoc
Wireless.

You can find Wireless Routers on sale for as little as $20.

Using a Router will also make your Cable connection more secure.

The content of these links might help.

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122[/L]

Ignore the prices in the links above. The same or similar hardware can be
found for 60%-90% less.

However if you would like to stay with your current setting try this:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ranjan" <call4ranjan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a desktop running win 2000 which is connected on a LAN to provide
> cable internet, I have added a wifi usb adaptor to enable the connection.
> My laptop running XP pro can connect to win 2000 via wifi & file sharing &
> networking is working fine, but as I share my lan internet connection it
> hangs & corrupts the network adaptor of win 2000 for some strange reason.
>
> Can I share internet this way or not?
> Ranjan

TRENDING THREADS