Internet sharing

G

Hi,
I have 2 PCs, and a cable internet connection, I want to share the connection, I have 2 NICs in 1 PC, 1 for cable 1 for network, the connection goes to a hub, then the hub to the other PC. Everything works, pings, network play, print, file sharing, ect.
BUT I can't share the internet. When I use the ics with windows, my connection fucks up, and there is no internet and have to add the tcp protacal to get the internet back again.

IS there another piece of software I can use to share the internet. I have PC anywhere, can I use that, are there any sharewhere stuff I can use????

Please could U help.

THanks

JKJK

G

WinGate should do what you're wanting to do. Other than that, you could always go over to a hardware solution like a Linksys DSL/Cable router (assuming you have an external Cable modem).

G

I use Spoon Proxy from http://www.pi-soft.com/wwwboard/ It used to be free for 2 PC's the same as Wingate but is much simpler to set up.

G

THanks all. I got winproxy and that works fine.
*cough* I paid for the regestration but lost that key thingy, anyone know where I can get it
*cough*
THat start up popup is anoying, but too lazy to try another one

Thanks JKJK

G

Does someone know if the ISP can detect that you are using two comps over the same link?. I have a cable modem, and Im using the comp connected to it as a Proxy for another comp connected via a Hub, the test where succesful and I can access the net from the second comp.. will the ISP ever notice?

/---------------------------------------/
Be and let others be as well!
<b>The Dark-Knight</b>

G

I don't think there's a way of telling (unless you confessed, which you won't). I've never used a proxy server before but I assume it uses some kinda NAT to specify which ports to 'serve' from (like port 80 comes from machine number 1, and ports 20/21 are served from machine #2). It will all appear to come from one machine (the proxy) as far as the cable company is concerned.

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your ISP has no way of knowing as long as you only use <b>one</b> IP address. The only thing they could detect is an increase in bandwidth usage. I've had four computers sharing the same cable connection for a year and a half now. Sometimes we are even downloading from Napster, or mIRC, or FTP's, etc.. all at the same time, and our ISP hasn't said anything.

G

I was so stupid, I typed in the serial no. for the last version of winproxy,(hey the no are the same just diff letters) box came up about it being wrez and [-peep-]. So I decided to get that spoon proxy which works great.

Lesson to be learnt, gen are better than serialz.