Internet slow on only one device

Beer Face Fatty

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Hi all,

I recently got new internet in a new house and have speeds on my phone of around 40-50 but my laptop is only around 5-10.
The laptop is reasonably new and has 360 free version installed.
Is there anything else I can install/run that will check if there are any nasties on my computer or any other things that may help me improve the speeds.

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Solution
Defender has been around for quite a while - as far back as Vista if I remember rightly. In Windows 8 it's blended in with Security Essentials which is embedded but still seems fairly effective, even though they are effectively now only an anti-virus.

I think you should turn off and even install the Chinese AV and scan with Defender then install MSE rather than use another paid-for product.

A free trial version is of MalwareBytes is available from http://www.malwarebytes.org. Scanning with that should put your mind at rest when it comes to anything stronger than an AV (any AV) can find. Only buy the full version if the trial finds anything really worrying.
You have Norton 360 and you're looking for other nasties? :D Try turning off all the options except updating and scan schedules and see if your speed increases. It would also help if you clear all the browser cachés before running another test. It's easier for a browser to go straight to a page without having to compare it with an historic page from your caché before opening it.

Beer Face Fatty

Reputable
May 9, 2015

he fact that you are laughing at me regarding my use of 360 total security suggests I shouldn't be using it at all?
You'll have to excuse me. I know next to nothing about computers. I did do a little research before choosing which free protection to use.

Should I use something else?
Or a combination of other things?

How do I turn off all the options in 360?
I have run a full scan and found nothing and hasn't speeded up anything. In fact, it's got slower over night.

Beer Face Fatty

Reputable
May 9, 2015

Also, I can't find anything in my 360 program that suggests it is made by Norton. Is there another anti-virus called 360?
Mine looks like it is made by a copany called QIHU.

That product is from a fairly new to the market Chinese company. To me, on grounds of their lack of experience, I would rate it even lower than the Norton version.

I think you're safer with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's totally fee because you paid for it when you bought a Windows product and it works well with the embedded Microsoft product, Windows Defender.

I don't recommend much from MS but those two do a good job. MS will get wind of a threat first because it's their product under attack. I reckon they update their AV utility before letting the other companies into the secret.

Defender has been around for quite a while - as far back as Vista if I remember rightly. In Windows 8 it's blended in with Security Essentials which is embedded but still seems fairly effective, even though they are effectively now only an anti-virus.

I think you should turn off and even install the Chinese AV and scan with Defender then install MSE rather than use another paid-for product.

A free trial version is of MalwareBytes is available from http://www.malwarebytes.org. Scanning with that should put your mind at rest when it comes to anything stronger than an AV (any AV) can find. Only buy the full version if the trial finds anything really worrying.

Solution