Question Internet Slow Ping times

Jul 16, 2019
I have two PC's in my network. I have a DSL modem and a wireless router. I noticed using my wireless connection to my cell phone, it is sometimes too slow to connect.
I then tried a ping test from my pc and had times of close to or over 1000ms. I contacted my provider, we did some troubleshooting and determined my network card was bad.
Network card replaced, same slowdown.

Further testing of the modem on my own, I connected my device straight to the modem with the same results. Then I connected my wife's pc directly to the modem and got ping times of around 50ms.

I have checked the modem, it is ok. And I have replaced my network card, so I assume it is ok. What do I look for now?

Then I connected my wife's pc directly to the modem and got ping times of around 50ms.
When u did this, u were being a methodical troubleshooter and hooked up pc2 to the same port, same cable, same everything, right? OK just checking. <-- Very important, don't ignore this.

I assume u understand WIFI and ETHERNET are Toyota and Porsche, and you are not mixing the 2.

OK, now I have to give u the full interview:

Did it EVER worked? or may it was that way all alone and u just found out?
Did u buy the same exact Network Interface card for replacement?
Do u have WIFI on this machine, if yes, is it disabled?
What OS version?
Please PING your router and tell me its latency.

Please do all these while you are ethernet hooked up to the back of the modem. Get this sort it out first, and THEN deal with WIFI later.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019
Sorry, I missed the last part. I was on my phone...Yes it worked well
Not the same network card. But I did check and I have the latest drivers
No wifi on the PC
Windows 10
Ping times with bytes 32. Time <1ms TTL=255

Now to go look for a cable to rule that out.
Thanks

Jul 16, 2019
I have a tool, Net Uptime Monitor that pings three IP addresses. 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.2 and 208.67.222.222....Google, Level 3 and Open DNS. I have done the same with the command prompt.

This time 8.8.8.8 was 1176ms, timed out, 819ms and 1027ms