Internet Slowdown and Disconnects

Last_Approach

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am getting quite desperate for a solution to my recent issue, which seems to have completely come out of nowhere.

Recently - perhaps for about the last week or so - the Internet speed on my PC seems completely erratic; it will be really fast one second (4.5 MB/S, which is about my limit), then the speed will start to go up and down quite dramatically (1 or 2 MB/S), eventually "disconnecting" completely (getting to 0) - it'll hover there for over a minute, then suddenly spring back to life again.

I noticed this mainly when I recently grabbed Fallout 76 - I was getting constant disconnects and loads and loads of lag spikes with the enemies. I assumed it was the game; I've heard stories. Unfortunately it seems to be my PC.

> No other devices in my house have this issue (another PC, a laptop and two mobiles)
> I have two different Wireless Adapters; I have tried them both to no avail.
> I have tried updating drivers.
> I have scanned for Malware and Viruses using two software - found nothing.
> Performed outstanding Windows Updates, just in case.

Can anyone help me get to the bottom of this, or at the very least suggest some other ways I could try and ascertain why my Internet connection is now so unstable?

I'm trying to avoid formatting as a complete last resort, but I'm running out of ideas!

Solution
well they look really cheap and i would attribute the slow speeds to the usb adapters... if you switch the one thats working fine in your partners machine to your pc... does that help any?

Last_Approach

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for your help so far:

---------------------------------------------
Check to see if you have any malware on your computer ZHPCleaner is what I would recommend, but malwarebytes is also quite good.

I did mention this in my initial post, but I've already tried that - my computer is 100% clean according to both Malwarebytes and Spybot Search and Destroy, along with my usual AVAST.

what type of connection are you using? and is it perhaps a ASUS AC56 on windows 10?

I'm on BT Superfast Fibre Plus (Average 67Mb download speed. Average 18Mb upload speed.)

Or are you meaning which Wireless Adapter am I using?

Last_Approach

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2016

Last_Approach

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions so far; I will try a few things and update here when I have more information.

In the mean time, if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions then please let me know :)

Last_Approach

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2016
I ended up moving my PC next to the router and plugging in directly via Network cable and I had no further issues, so this proves conclsively that the issue is with the crappy WIFI dongles I purchased.

As the old saying goes; buy cheap, buy twice, make a post on an Internet forum.