Question Internet slowdowns when using intensive apps (i.e. PC speeds up) - No idea why my computer is doing this

May 4, 2019
Hi all

I have a really weird issue with my newly built PC.

It is Win 10 Home 64 bit and has the following specs:

i7 3770
RX480
2x 4gb ram
500gb ssd
1tb hdd
Wifi adapter (TP link)
wireless mouse
wired keyboard

I connect to my home wifi.
What i notice is, when I am just browsing or watching videos, my internet speed is great. Everything loads fast, videos playing at 1080p easily. Speedtest says my speed is around 10mbps-16mbps.

Then when i try to open an intensive app such as witcher 3, black desert or any games, my PC would speed up obviously (turbo i guess), fans start spinning etc, but then the following issues happen:
  1. My internet would drop dead. Like going through websites take ages and would not load. MMORPGs like black desert cant even connect and connection drop out. Videos would buffer and get stuck. Speedtest shows <0.5mbps.
  2. My wireless mouse would freeze occasionally, like freeze on the spot and after 2-3s then it moves.

Also, even when I am not playing games (i.e. just browsing), my mouse would also have the above issue. However main issue is still my internet because I cant play any online games with my PC!
I also note that my laptop when connected to the same wifi, if I do the same (i.e. play intensive games or app), internet works fine and I can actually play my MMORPGs.

Any idea what is going on?

10 to 15 down is likely your download. What is your upload and ping time like? Try fast.com and get the more details info.

For the mouse issue, try putting the mouse wireless adapter on a front usb port. The micro transmitters are sometimes really weak. The metal in cases can play havok with them if they are in an enclosed space. But to be honest most serious gamers dump the wireless mouse because of input lag. (That is unless you get a pro gaming wireless mouse.)

May 4, 2019
10 to 15 down is likely your download. What is your upload and ping time like? Try fast.com and get the more details info.

For the mouse issue, try putting the mouse wireless adapter on a front usb port. The micro transmitters are sometimes really weak. The metal in cases can play havok with them if they are in an enclosed space. But to be honest most serious gamers dump the wireless mouse because of input lag. (That is unless you get a pro gaming wireless mouse.)

Wifi upload is like 0.60 mbps. Still it is strange, my laptop has no such issues and is twice as weak as my pc. My desktop internet only slows down (a lot) when i start intensive apps.

One thing I found is, if i connect to my phones hot spot on my pc, the issue disappears. My phone has also a 10 to 15 mbps download but upload is more than 15.

I guess u can say that it might be the upload, but it doesn't explain why my pc has such issues but my laptop doesnt despite connecting to the same WiFi.

Also my wireless mouse connecta to the frontusb port. But my pc is on the floor on my left while my mouse is on my table. Guess ill stick with wired mouse but it's so hard finding wired mouse with buttons on side