[SOLVED] Internet slows down massively as soon as I open any resource intensive game

Sep 21, 2019
I have about 60mbps internet when everything is behaving normally. I can stream videos and download things at this speed easily and reliably. However as soon as I open any demanding game my internet speed drops masively to about 2-3mbps or less or sometimes just completely fails. I have tried reinstalling all of the network adapter drivers, closing all other programs I can to see if one is interfering with it, turning off windows antivirus to see if it was being slowed down by it scanning all of the data, and using a vpn to see if it was my isp trying to block me playing games or something however none of these solutions have worked for me in the slightest. I have completely run out of ideas in what could be causing this strange behaviour! Please help...

Last edited:
Solution
motherboard model? some have utility that put gaming first.
I think I may have found the issue, I was using a USB wireless network adapter, and now i have tried using the wireless built into my motherboard, Asus Z390-P, instead. Although it is much slower because its reception is worse as the antennas are on the back of the computer, it doesn't seem to have this same issue of cutting out when I open any resource intensive program. I think it must be some kind of performance mode that the motherboard goes into when launching a game that seems to reduce the flow of data from the USB ports massively, causing my internet to stop. Would you know a way to allow as much data as possible to still go through the USB ports of the Asus...
Sep 21, 2019
motherboard model? some have utility that put gaming first.
I think I may have found the issue, I was using a USB wireless network adapter, and now i have tried using the wireless built into my motherboard, Asus Z390-P, instead. Although it is much slower because its reception is worse as the antennas are on the back of the computer, it doesn't seem to have this same issue of cutting out when I open any resource intensive program. I think it must be some kind of performance mode that the motherboard goes into when launching a game that seems to reduce the flow of data from the USB ports massively, causing my internet to stop. Would you know a way to allow as much data as possible to still go through the USB ports of the Asus Z390-P while playing games? This allow me to game with my original 60mbps from the USB adapter rather than the slow but consistent 4-6mbps from the built in adapter?

Solution
Sep 21, 2019
Under the device manager and properties of the usb network adapter and under power management none of the power saving options are ticked, I'm not sure if there are any other power settings that could be enabled that I'm not aware of? The PSU is a corsair VS-650.

Sep 21, 2019
I'm using a USB wireless network adaptor for my internet on my gaming pc. It works fine when the computer isn't doing anything intensive such as web browsing, downloading apps and games, and video streaming. In normal operation I get a pretty stable 60mbps. However when I open a game client that is demanding to the hardware such as the COD:MW beta or BFV, the internet slows down massively to the point where it struggles to hit even 2-3mbps and sometimes it just cuts out completely. I think its a USB related issue because when I use the built in wireless adaptor connected straight to the motherboard it does not behave like this, however I don't use the built in wireless as the antennas are behind the computer and because of this the reception is very weak and the internet is very slow at about 3-4mbps, but at least its stable unlike the USB network adaptor that slows down when opening a game. I have tried moving the adaptor in all the USB 2 and 3 slots on the front of the computer but it makes no difference. My assumption is that when the computer is under load the motherboard goes into some sort of performance mode causing the USB ports to not transfer as much data but really I have no idea. I couldn't find any sort of USB drivers for the Z390-P under the Asus Q-Installer or online. All the other USB devices seem to work fine though including mouse keyboard joysticks controllers and VR headset its just the data from the USB network adaptor seems to be reduced when playing games. If anyone has any ideas what the cause of this could be please help me!