[SOLVED] Internet speed (1 bar) problems on new PC

Mar 26, 2020
Please can someone help with my internet connection problems. I have bought a new PC and the internet is excruciatingly slow to non existent on it. I've tried moving the PC around the house (despite the fact the internet works fine on the laptop in the same position so that was no doubt a waste of time but wanted to do all I could) and I've tried resetting the router through the system menu properties.

My plan is to use the downtime I now have to learn how to program (hence the new PC) but I seem to have somewhat embarrassingly fallen at the first hurdle.

Any help is more appreciated than you know.

-make and model of router: N/A
  • Provide us with the make and model of your modem - Realtek RTL8192EE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
  • Provide us with the exact specifications of your PC:

- Make and model of motherboard - Intel (r) Core (TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz
  • Make and model of USB or PCI Wifi adapter
  • Operating system and driver version - Windows 10 Home 1903
  • Driver version of modem - 2023.70.109.2018

• You will also need to post your ISP and connection type - Virgin Media - Wifi
  • You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router - 3, one phone, one laptop and the PC in question
  • No error messages, just a single bar of signal

Thank you.

Solution
The antenna might be disconnected inside (the RP SMA plug). Take it to the shop and have it checked (should be covered by warranty).
Edit: It is a PC, not a laptop. Just open the case and make sure the antenna wires are properly connected to the NIC and the antennas themselves are tight on the outlets. DO not bend any metal though 🙃
The antenna might be disconnected inside (the RP SMA plug). Take it to the shop and have it checked (should be covered by warranty).
Edit: It is a PC, not a laptop. Just open the case and make sure the antenna wires are properly connected to the NIC and the antennas themselves are tight on the outlets. DO not bend any metal though 🙃

Solution
Mar 26, 2020

You sir are a legend. Thank you so much!

Reactions: vov4ik_il