Internet Speed Boosting

VaughtEV

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
Now that I've figured out that my internet is pretty slow (2.2mbs) what can I do to speed it up? I'm running an ethernet cable from my modem to my computer and it's still this slow? Would I need a new modem, hard drive or what?

Solution

If 2.2Mbs is your rated speed then you need to contact Cox and...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Contact your ISP and see what the rating for your internet speed is before doing anything. You may be getting exactly what you pay for. If your speeds are supposed to be faster try resetting your modem (ie unplug it while holding down any power/reset buttons for at least 30 seconds). You ISP can usually remotely reset your modem as well. If this doesn't work and your still not reaching your ISP rated speed a technician may need to come out or you may need to put in a new modem.

VaughtEV

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
No I have done nettests and such and 2.2 megabytes is exactly what I'm supposed to be getting but what should I do to upgrade that to get more megabytes and how much would this cost?

USAFRet

Titan

What are you supposed to be getting from your ISP? What is the speed they are supposed to be supplying?

If it is 2.2 megabits/sec....that is ALL you will get, via a wired connection. There is no magical router that will increase that.

VaughtEV

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I have Cox Internet Essential

You do not have to really worry about your hardware until you start looking at internet that can go faster than 100mbps. Most equipment has no issues running at speeds like that.

You are being limited by the plan you have chosen from your ISP. So you must contact the ISP and see what other plans they offer in your area. They of course will want more money every month for plans that are faster.

USAFRet

Titan

OK, and is 2.2mbps the advertised speed from Cox?

In my locality, Cox Internet Essential is:
----------
Cox Internet Essential

• Up to 15 Mbps download
• Up to 2 Mbps upload
----------
What is YOUR plan supposed to be?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

If 2.2Mbs is your rated speed then you need to contact Cox and ask for a internet package that has a higher bandwidth. As for what it will cost, only Cox can answer that question definitively for your user area. I would expect it to cost more of course then what you pay now. I pay, for example, nearly 90 dollars a month for 300Mbs down/25Mbs up service which is the best in my area. The entry level of 50Mbs down/2Mbs up is only 20 bucks a month, while mid tier 100Mbs down/ 10Mbs up is closer to 45 dollars a month . Your prices/speeds will likely be very different. But hopefully that gives you an idea of how much it can cost.

Solution