[SOLVED] Internet speed capped at 100mbs

Jun 2, 2020
Hello, I own an assus tuf gaming laptop model fx505dv and I have internet from the provider of 250mbs but on my laptop its only 100mbs, the technician came, tested the cable and connection on his laptop and indicated 250mbs.
I use direct connection, no router, I tried changing to full 1gbs duplex but with no success. Please suggest course of action.

Solution
Dear sir, the laptop is new as it can be, around ~1 month old, bought it for gaming, I do not use a router but direct connection, and the cable is fine due to being tested on 3 different other laptops. I do not know why this is happening, I reinstalled the drivers, roll back even but no success.
You need to verify that your laptop connects at 1Gb to a switch or other network device.
I still believe it is an incompatibility between the termination (or quality of) your incoming cable and your laptop. Verify the 8 gold wires in the ethernet port on your laptop are all the same height and are parallel. Look closely at the end of the cable. Can you see 8 wires?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I own an assus tuf gaming laptop model fx505dv and I have internet from the provider of 250mbs but on my laptop its only 100mbs, the technician came, tested the cable and connection on his laptop and indicated 250mbs.
I use direct connection, no router, I tried changing to full 1gbs duplex but with no success. Please suggest course of action.
It is ALMOST always the cable. It doesn't matter if it works with another device. Your device is not happy with it. If it is a flat cable then replace it with a 100% copper cat5e 22-24 gauge round cable. I recommend monoprice -- https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11236
Every ethernet device is unique in the amount of noise or signal it will accept.

Jun 2, 2020
It is ALMOST always the cable. It doesn't matter if it works with another device. Your device is not happy with it. If it is a flat cable then replace it with a 100% copper cat5e 22-24 gauge round cable. I recommend monoprice -- https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=11236
Every ethernet device is unique in the amount of noise or signal it will accept.

Dear sir, the techncian came and plugged the cable into his laptop and was showing alright, I also tested with some older laptop and was showing the correct speed, so I doubt its the cable.

kanewolf

Titan
Dear sir, the techncian came and plugged the cable into his laptop and was showing alright, I also tested with some older laptop and was showing the correct speed, so I doubt its the cable.
As I said, working with one device does NOT guarantee working with another. Buy a brand new cable as I recommended above. It is a laptop, so a 3m cable would tell you YES or NO.

Jun 2, 2020
As I said, working with one device does NOT guarantee working with another. Buy a brand new cable as I recommended above. It is a laptop, so a 3m cable would tell you YES or NO.

I actually tested it with two more laptops, it runs fine on them, also the cable comes directly from an outside switch, wich is pretty far, I will further install a router and check the speed via wireless connection and different cables from its ports.

Not sure what you expect for a answer. Ethernet speeds are negotiated at the hardware level. You can only make it worse for example forcing the setting. You need to leave it set on auto.

There really are only 3 causes. The port on your router is defective, the port in your laptop is defective or you have a defective cable.

Now I suppose if you REALLY think the cable is fine you could just buy a new laptop to solve the problem. Most people try the cheaper option of replacing a cable first.

Jun 2, 2020
Not sure what you expect for a answer. Ethernet speeds are negotiated at the hardware level. You can only make it worse for example forcing the setting. You need to leave it set on auto.

There really are only 3 causes. The port on your router is defective, the port in your laptop is defective or you have a defective cable.

Now I suppose if you REALLY think the cable is fine you could just buy a new laptop to solve the problem. Most people try the cheaper option of replacing a cable first.

Dear sir, the laptop is new as it can be, around ~1 month old, bought it for gaming, I do not use a router but direct connection, and the cable is fine due to being tested on 3 different other laptops. I do not know why this is happening, I reinstalled the drivers, roll back even but no success.

kanewolf

Titan
You need to verify that your laptop connects at 1Gb to a switch or other network device.
I still believe it is an incompatibility between the termination (or quality of) your incoming cable and your laptop. Verify the 8 gold wires in the ethernet port on your laptop are all the same height and are parallel. Look closely at the end of the cable. Can you see 8 wires?

Solution
Jun 2, 2020

Yes there are eight, i also tested the cable with other 2 different laptops and it shows good speed, il try to install a router and test different cables, i made a deeper search and found out my laptop is rather ,,picky"..