Question Slower internet speed when network adapter is disabled and re-enabled ?

david3026

Honorable
Oct 24, 2016
I have 30 mb/s internet speed but sometimes if I disable and re-enable network adapter, it's only at 9 mb/s on speedtest.net and this happens several times. At first what comes in mind is the RJ 45 cable jack but it's working well on my old PC and don't have such an issue on it. I installed drivers from my Asus motherboard, tried setting in driver's configuration "speed and duplex" to 100 mb full duplex. also entered manually Mac and Ipv4 addresses but didn't solve the problem. So, the one that remains is the NIC on the motherboard?! Why it sometimes gives the full speed then if it's faulty? Is there a way to diagnose this?

edit: this PC is connected directly without router to the wired cable.

Windows 10 64 bit
Asus Prime a320m-f motherboard
Amd ryzen 5 2600 cpu

Last edited:

david3026

Honorable
Oct 24, 2016
Don't mess with your duplex settings revert to default. You're probably down loading or uploading something. When you restart it you might be running the speed test before the down/upload starts.
No, I'm not downloading/uploading anything. I disabled windows updates and also tried and installed windows 7. The same problem.

No, I'm not downloading/uploading anything. I disabled windows updates and also tried and installed windows 7. The same problem.

You could try testing with the modem directly into your pc so you know you're the only client. if it's an all in one just make sure nothing else is connected wired or wifi. then test with your network monitor open. if you have another computer to test with try that.