[SOLVED] Internet speed dispersal

Feb 7, 2019
Reviewing some other questions about download speeds I think i may have a different type of question, or maybe i just don't get it.

Benchmarks show i am getting 40-45mb/s down and about 5mb/s up. I am currently downloading a game at 6.5mb/s. I understand this has to do with the source or throttling or traffic or all of that, that's ok.

My Question is how come when i try to play a you tube video, a mobile game via wifi or even just surf the web it's insanely slow while downloading the game? I can pause the game and everything is back to normal then resume and i'm a slug again. I've noticed the same happens when i'm watching twitch recently - other internet activities will slow to molasses speeds. While downloading or watching twitch my benchmarks still say i'm around the 40mb/s down range while i noticed my up speed goes to 2-3mb/s.

Everything is wired except mobile and laptop. I notice this on all devices, laptop as well as desktop.
I am operating cable internet via Cable One provided modem to Asus RT-AC1900P router.

Please ask any other specifics that may help conjure a solid explanation, I'll do my best, and I thank everyone sharing their knowledge ahead of time!

Solution
Most download displays are in megabytes (MB/s). So 6.5 MB/s == 52 megabits (mb/s). You are probably fully saturating your internet service with the download. You can open resource manager to see throughput in megabits.

kanewolf

Titan
Most download displays are in megabytes (MB/s). So 6.5 MB/s == 52 megabits (mb/s). You are probably fully saturating your internet service with the download. You can open resource manager to see throughput in megabits.

Solution
Feb 7, 2019
Thank you Kanewolf - I never noticed that the speed i was getting was measured in megabits rather than megabytes and with the conversion this makes perfect sense! I feel very dumb right now haha. Totally just changed my world right there.

Thank you very much!