Question Internet Speed Drops and Becomes Very Sluggish While On a Online Game.

Apr 16, 2021
This has been going on for for about two months now. When I go into League, Warzone, or any online game, I go from 900mbps to 300mbps and sometimes lower. Even though it is 300, everything becomes very sluggish to the point I will lose connection to League client and other stuff completely if I am on a game. I have ran speed tests before and during games. My ping is around 8-12 and will go up to 30 or more. This is happening when I open the game and just sit in the lobby. For League, it happens after I am in a game because the client is a little weird.

Things I have tried: Port forwarding, Google Open DNS, reaching out to Xfinity to check the connection (I was having some other connection problems as well and has since been corrected), VPN services, and changing the Network Priority. Nothing has really helped. My thought has been that something from Xfinity's side is routing the games incorrectly but I really do not know.

I have had this issue with two different computers, so I do not think it is my desktop at all but I could be wrong.

First PC:
16gbs ram
3080 MSI Ventus

Newest PC:
5900x
32gbs ram
500gb boot
4TB of storage

It has been a nightmare attempting to try and stream or do anything while game like turn on music in the middle of a game because I am dropping frames constantly and cannot alt+tab easily without waiting a good amount time because of how sluggish it is.
Something else I have noticed, when something is trying to load while the game is on, the light animation on my keyboard goes from super smooth to stuttery.

This has been going on for for about two months now. When I go into League, Warzone, or any online game, I go from 900mbps to 300mbps and sometimes lower. Even though it is 300, everything becomes very sluggish to the point I will lose connection to League client and other stuff completely if I am on a game. I have ran speed tests before and during games. My ping is around 8-12 and will go up to 30 or more. This is happening when I open the game and just sit in the lobby. For League, it happens after I am in a game because the client is a little weird.

Things I have tried: Port forwarding, Google Open DNS, reaching out to Xfinity to check the connection (I was having some other connection problems as well and has since been corrected), VPN services, and changing the Network Priority. Nothing has really helped. My thought has been that something from Xfinity's side is routing the games incorrectly but I really do not know.

I have had this issue with two different computers, so I do not think it is my desktop at all but I could be wrong.

First PC:
16gbs ram
3080 MSI Ventus

Newest PC:
5900x
32gbs ram
500gb boot
4TB of storage

It has been a nightmare attempting to try and stream or do anything while game like turn on music in the middle of a game because I am dropping frames constantly and cannot alt+tab easily without waiting a good amount time because of how sluggish it is.
Something else I have noticed, when something is trying to load while the game is on, the light animation on my keyboard goes from super smooth to stuttery.
Have you tried a new ethernet cable? Because i know you arn't getting 900mbps on wifi?

Apr 16, 2021
Okay so that is a little strange. Have you tried the Ethernet in the arris? You shouldn't be having a issue with the tp link but try use a port from the arris for your Ethernet for a moment see how that plays
Just tried it. Directly into modem, I am getting 1223mbps before game launch. After game launch, i am still losing close to half or lower of the speed.

Why do you think it is a network problem rather than the game somehow overloading something on your machine. In many cases it is some video setting or video driver issue.

I assume if you run the test on your phone at the same time the PC is having issues the phone runs fine ?

Apr 16, 2021
Why do you think it is a network problem rather than the game somehow overloading something on your machine. In many cases it is some video setting or video driver issue.

I assume if you run the test on your phone at the same time the PC is having issues the phone runs fine ?
When playing the game, it is barely taking up any resources. Not even half of my cpu is being used.

Apr 16, 2021

I did test during. Also, I am having the exact same issue with two different computers. The latest one was built within the last few weeks. I also tested it while the tech was here and the game was up. Getting normal speeds directly from the modem and cable but on the computer, the speed is completely different.

Game seems to run pretty okay. I will have some desyncs here and there but everything else out the game is SUPER sluggish
So I'm wandering if you are having a bridge issue between the modem and router. This is very common in dual link broadcasting systems and hard to figure out and get over. It's generally the bridge port setting between the two on the "HTML" page of you device with normally xfinty defualt being
User admin password password
See what they are linked as bridge, extender, modem, etc... It could also be it being. Set to auto channel instead of being locked to specific one that's known to be good. If it's jumping channels in game it will cause the issue you are having

Apr 16, 2021
So I'm wandering if you are having a bridge issue between the modem and router. This is very common in dual link broadcasting systems and hard to figure out and get over. It's generally the bridge port setting between the two on the "HTML" page of you device with normally xfinty defualt being
User admin password password
See what they are linked as bridge, extender, modem, etc... It could also be it being. Set to auto channel instead of being locked to specific one that's known to be good. If it's jumping channels in game it will cause the issue you are having

Set to Dynamic
IPTV not enabled but under it, it startes:
-ISP Profile is Bridge
-Lan1 -Internet
-Lan2 - Internet