Question Internet speed drops from 12mbps to 0.8mbps for no obvious reason ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimhoxh1

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018
I'm experiencing issues with my laptop's Wi-Fi connection speed. Strangely, at times, I have a normal internet speed of 12 Mbps, but other times it drops significantly to 0.8 Mbps. Do you have any insight into what might be causing this problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Also add in ISP along with make and model information for the modem and router (or modem/router) if combined.

On the laptop use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

First observe while performing tasks (if any) that do not experience wife speed drops. Then observe while performing tasks (games ?) that experience speed drops.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource when speed drops occur.

Also look in the router's logs (if available and enabled). The router's logs may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

= = = =

On the laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Try disabling IPv6 - doing so may prove helpful.

sitehostplus

Honorable
Jan 6, 2018
I'm experiencing issues with my laptop's Wi-Fi connection speed. Strangely, at times, I have a normal internet speed of 12 Mbps, but other times it drops significantly to 0.8 Mbps. Do you have any insight into what might be causing this problem?
Most likely cause is too many people connecting to the internet at the same time. When that happens, speed drops dramatically.

Do you know when this happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.