Question Internet speed drops moments after resetting modem/router

Apr 21, 2019
Hi all, I'm new here. Hoping to get some suggestions for an issue I've been having for about the last two months.

My internet package is 150 mbps download. I have a TP Link TC 7620 modem (bought new in 2017) and a Netgear Nighthawk R7500 router (bought new in fall 2015 I believe). I have recently started experiencing extremely slow download speeds. About 0.6-2.4 mbps average when I run speed tests. I have tried resetting both modem and router MANY times. After the reset, the speeds jump back up to ~ 130/15 mbps download/upload speed. This only lasts several minutes though, before my download speed drops drastically to the average I mentioned before. It will fluctuate a bit, but usually never returns to anything above 10 mbps.

Not sure if this is network, hardware, or software issue. I've called my ISP and they tested my connection and told me everything looked good. I do a direct connect to my main PC and that's the device I run all my speed tests on. I only have 3-5 devices max on my network at anytime. Any suggestions to check out?

Did you try hooking your pc to the modem. This would tell you if it was related to the router or if it was something else network related.

Most modems have screens that show the signal levels. You can compare those to recommended ones. The actual values depend on a couple things so I will not replicate those tables here. Most modems also tend to have logs that show if the connect is having issues.

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
dont belive what is advertised you are being throttled because of high demand theres too many people on once the interned dies down your speed will return read the offer its not 150 mbps its up to 150 mbps meaning thats the highest speed you can get but not garrenteed

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
all providers has a datta plan most of them wont tell you once your data is gone u get throttled till internet is stable enough you can go back high speeds the throttled speed is usaly 1.5mbs and all streaming will still work

Apr 21, 2019
all providers has a datta plan most of them wont tell you once your data is gone u get throttled till internet is stable enough you can go back high speeds the throttled speed is usaly 1.5mbs and all streaming will still work
I don't think I'm being throttled. I checked my usage on my ISP's site and I'm only at <250 GB of a 1TB monthly plan. I usually sit at about 150GB used. I'll have to call to confirm this isn't the case, though. Also strange since my usage hasn't change much (in fact it's actually gone down recently based on my usage charts from my ISP) and I've never had this problem before.

Apr 21, 2019
Did you try hooking your pc to the modem. This would tell you if it was related to the router or if it was something else network related.

Most modems have screens that show the signal levels. You can compare those to recommended ones. The actual values depend on a couple things so I will not replicate those tables here. Most modems also tend to have logs that show if the connect is having issues.
I'll try that now to see if that changes anything. I'll look for the logs too and see if there have been any issues, thanks!

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
even if you dont ues up ur data for some reason you get throttled by your isp during peak hours i know this because it happened to me plenty of times some times doing a speed test ping test will reaveal that another opt is useing a vpn you can use cyber ghost free edition paid verson unlocks torrents thats all you can try reseting your router too but like mentioned conecting straight to modem may shed light on the issue you want the modem to do all the work cause that cannot be changed router should only be used as a wifi ethernet extender not for internet service so u need to disable those settings yes its still used for internet what im saying the modem has to be the one doing the work so make sure you disabled the dns service and ip adress manager

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
even if you dont ues up ur data for some reason you get throttled by your isp during peak hours i know this because it happened to me plenty of times some times doing a speed test ping test will reaveal that another opt is useing a vpn you can use cyber ghost free edition paid verson unlocks torrents thats all you can try reseting your router too but like mentioned conecting straight to modem may shed light on the issue you want the modem to do all the work cause that cannot be changed router should only be used as a wifi ethernet extender not for internet service so u need to disable those settings yes its still used for internet what im saying the modem has to be the one doing the work so make sure you disabled the dns service and ip adress manager

Congestion and lower speeds, in some situations, sure. You're not going to be throttled >99%, unless of course you're being throttled for illegal activities.

Connect directly to the modem, see how things look there. The more devices you have in the chain (Modem>Router>Access Point>Switch>PC, for example), the more potential culprits.

Scott Wayne

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Congestion and lower speeds, in some situations, sure. You're not going to be throttled >99%, unless of course you're being throttled for illegal activities.

Connect directly to the modem, see how things look there. The more devices you have in the chain (Modem>Router>Access Point>Switch>PC, for example), the more potential culprits.
true if it dose same with modem its the isps doing he has to prove it or get a new modem which he still have to prove to the isp he knows its not him.some isps are sneaky and will throttle you and play the diagnostic game ive been through that with my last one had to take them to court and i nailed them they thought they could take advantage of me.when the judge order the logs it was over and i had plenty of speed test logs and screenshots.then they said they cant do service with me so i sued them for discrimination and won.this isp i have now knows not to play with me lol but yea this could be what is going on with you. with just the modem go here https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ keep checking and logging good luck