[SOLVED] Internet Speed Faster in Safe Mode, Native Ookla App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2020
Hello, hoping someone here can help me. I have spent days trying to figure this out. I am on Win10 Version 2004, all updates done. I have gigabit from my ISP, verified at the router, modem. In fact, when I run the native app Speedtest by Ookla I consistently see 960mbps. Using a wired connection.

However, whenever I test the speed in Firefox, Chrome, or Edge, the speeds are much slower. FF is fastest, usually coming in around 600 to 700mbps when using speedtest.net. When I test on fast.com or other sites including my ISP's, it normally comes in around 300 to 500mbps.

I do not understand why I see the speeds in the native app but NOT in the regular desktop environment. Normally I would think it is just the browsers are slower BUT when I restart the computer in safe mode, all the browsers suddenly pull down the same 960 speeds!

I have tried doing a clean boot, disabling and re-enabling services. Unplugged the power supply. Updated/reverted/re-updated the NIC drivers. Tried a DNS flush and SFC scan. Tried to reset the autotune feature. Turned off and on the Defender firewalls. Looked at what is using the Network resource, found nothing. I reset Firefox and Chrome. Set up a new user. Cleared cache, all temp files. Switched between full-duplex and not. Removed the NIC adapter completely and re-installed in device manager. No matter what I do, the speeds never show up in the regular desktop environment.

Can anyone help me with this? I am at my wits end. Again, the speed is seen in the Ookla app from the MS store. Also when the computer is in safe mode. I also verified I have the latest BIOS. Running a desktop computer, HP with AMD processor. Please help!

Joined a few sites looking for help on this...TenForums and Bleeping Computer, cross-posted. Desperate!

Jul 10, 2020
hp h8-1414. any specific tool you can suggest? I have removed most utilities. I cannot believe I am the only person that has had this issue...fast in safe mode AND on the native Ookla app but not in regular desktop. Browsers are fast while in safe mode too.

Status
Not open for further replies.